Tried my block heater

/ Tried my block heater #1  

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4520
Tried my JD block heater last night on my 4520 , and this morning i felt the block and it was warm. Nice to know that i have that option when i need it

mike

/ Tried my block heater #2  
I will most likely be using mine. They are calling for some measurable snow and lows around 5 degrees.

/ Tried my block heater #3  
I have one on my 4310 and on my dodge, cummins. I use a timer so it's not on all night, set to go on about three hours before I need to start. It's a must for the dodge below about 10 or 15 degrees, not sure with the tractor, only used it a couple of times. much less stress on the engine with the heater regardless of wether it will start or not. John,

/ Tried my block heater #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have one on my dodge, cummins. It's a must for the dodge below about 10 or 15 degrees, )</font>

What year is your Dodge? 2004.5+ they say you dont need to plug it in until -30 degrees.
Shane

/ Tried my block heater
Snane,i have a 2001.5 dodge ,it will start in <0 temps. but, it really helps to plug it in for a quicker start.As far as recommend temp.i think it's 40-45 ?

mike

/ Tried my block heater #6  
Shane and mike, my truck is a "95 (see the picture attached)and it will definitely not start at below zero temps, gets tough around 10 degrees, I plug in at anything below 30 (most of the winter,with the timer set to 4:eek:o a.m.) it's just much happier and much faster to get up to operating temp. and warm the cab. John,

Attachments

• 784501-P5134000 (600 x 450).jpg
    784501-P5134000 (600 x 450).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 197
   / Tried my block heater #7  
would you explain the process to use your block heater . I also have a 4520 not sure how it is to be used. thanks

/ Tried my block heater #8  
On my 4120 (same engine as 4520) There is a short cord hanging from the side of the block that attaches to the block heater. I plug it into a grounded extension cord (110 V AC) for about an hour before starting the tractor. The tractor then starts just as smooth as in the summer time even when stored outside in 0 deg F weather. Remember to unplug the extension cord before you take off. The block heater will reduce engine wear and extend the time between rebuilds if the tractor is regularly used in cold climates.

/ Tried my block heater #9  
Thanks for question and answer about using the block heater. I had the dealer install one in my 3720 but forgot to ask them about how to use it. Figured if I called them up they would simple say "plug it in". Good to know about an hour is all it needs. Nice when someone else has the same question and makes me feel like I am really not a blockhead (Charlie Brown) about a block heater, Thanks rollbar and wolc123.

Steven