Trimmer problem

/ Trimmer problem #1  

Mike_Kanzer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3830 HST, JD Gator 855D
Guys-
A little bit off topic for this category, but I need help. I have an Ariens 622ST walk behind string trimmer which was working fine until I ran out of gas. Now she will start but only runs for 10-20 seconds than cuts out. I thought there might be dirt in fuel line, but the screen in the gas tank is clean. I pulled the fuel bowl off the carbuerator but there is no water or dirt there. I also cleaned the air filter but that didn't help. Any ideas what might be causing this? Thanks for the help I am somewhat challenged with engine problems. - Mike

/ Trimmer problem #4  
Guys-
A little bit off topic for this category, but I need help. I have an Ariens 622ST walk behind string trimmer which was working fine until I ran out of gas. Now she will start but only runs for 10-20 seconds than cuts out. I thought there might be dirt in fuel line, but the screen in the gas tank is clean. I pulled the fuel bowl off the carbuerator but there is no water or dirt there. I also cleaned the air filter but that didn't help. Any ideas what might be causing this? Thanks for the help I am somewhat challenged with engine problems. - Mike

I think I'd take the time to clean the carb real good. It is possible that when the gas tank ran dry you picked up something from the bottom of the tank and it's floating around and getting stuck. Small carbs such as that are a very simple item to clean. Use a little compressed air to be sure all orfices(sp?) are clear of stuff. If you're not comfortable cleaning it, bring to a trusted shop and they'll be happy to do it for you. Good luck. Roger

/ Trimmer problem #5  
I have a walk behind string trimmer as well...that happened on mine but I found I had a crack in the primer bulb that you push to prime it before starting it and I replaced that and all is fine now. I have a sears model. Another thing it might be is condensation or water in the gas because it also happened to me once when I let it sit without use for a few months. I emptied all of the gas and put in some stp gas treatment and new gas and the problem was solved. Since it runs for a few seconds it is either losing it's prime or water in the fuel I suspect.