Trimmers

/ Trimmers #1  

Boris1

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740HTSC FEL-RTVX1120 Camo-JDX540
Hello,

I am looking to buy a new trimmer, I have tried a Shindawai and was not satisfied (T2510), I am going to look at Redmaxx, Kawasaki & Robin. These are not the traditional names I am used to hearing and wanted to know if anyone has any knowledge of these brands or any other they would recommend? I have looked at Echo & Sthil and thought maybe there was something better?

Thanks,
Matt

/ Trimmers #2  
I have had all of the ones you mention except the Robin. I have settled on Husqvarna for my last 4 string trimmers. Get the Husqvarna 323L or 326L (I prefer the 323... a little lighter but still more than enough power). These trimmers are fast, powerful, and light... that makes a big difference if you are running them for an extended period. As I said, I've owned shindaiwa, stihl, echo, kawasaki, and redmax, and the Husqvarna is the winner... hands down.

/ Trimmers
Thanks for the input Westbrook, I am going to a parts store in the morning that carries them. I will look at those while i'm there.

Thanks,
Matt

/ Trimmers #4  
Whatever you pick make sure it has a 300 hour EPA rating(Highest given by the EPA). This attests to the quality of internal components. I have a Deere XT140 it has been good so far for brush cutting and such. I know Echo, Sthil, Redmax, Tanaka all have 300 hour rated machines. there maybey others out there too. Just do your home work.

/ Trimmers
Thanks

/ Trimmers #6  
I'm not sure about the other trimmers, other than the shindiawa vs Stihl. I have had a service tech, that worked at one dealership for years and years, and a different dealer ship owner, tell me the same thing, that the split shaft of the shindiawa was inferior to the one pc. shaft of the stihl ( this was before stihl came out with their Kombi system, which I haven't looked at or asked about their design ). Stihl still makes the one pc. shaft, but did add the two pc. design. I bought a stihl 130r that is a one pc. I have used the trimmer head, two different blades, and the pole saw attachment for it, which I have even dropped a maple tree with, and I absolutely love it. I don't think that you'll find anything better, although they might have an equal in one of the other brands ( I don't know ). I do know, that one of the dealerships that sold shindiawa, now sells stihl to the contractors that need quality stuff. I see more and more stihl products from the lawn companies in this neck of the woods. Just don't buy the crap from the big chain stores, as they are not the same quality that the small local dealership sells.

/ Trimmers #7  
There are a lot of good brands and models available, but in my area the only things I see the commercial operators use are the Stihl and Echo. And if or when service should be needed, I know where there's one Echo dealer nearby who also sells and services Stihl, and I know of two other Stihl dealers nearby. My Stihl FS55RC only turned 3 years old last month, so I haven't needed any kind of dealer service or repair yet.

/ Trimmers #8  
What Echos have you tried? Put your hands on a 265T. You will never be wanting for power. I hear the Kawasaki handhelds have a great power to weight ratio! Which dealer has the best service? That's the key. Which dealer has products you think you may buy in the future? Find a dealer you can build a long term relationship with. Our long-term customers take priority over new customers (though all get taken care of).

/ Trimmers #9  
DaryleD said:
Just don't buy the crap from the big chain stores, as they are not the same quality that the small local dealership sells.

It depends. If you mean in general, you're correct. However, lots of companies place entry level models at the box stores that dealers can carry too. Like Echo and Husky for instance.

/ Trimmers #10  
DaryleD said:
Just don't buy the crap from the big chain stores, as they are not the same quality that the small local dealership sells.
:confused: So you're saying that if brand x is sold at both a local dealer and a big box store, and they carry the same model, that the same model sold at the local guys shop is a better quality model?