Front-End Loader Trimming the hedge with the FEL

/ Trimming the hedge with the FEL #21  
Makes me want to go surround my property with hedge just so I can clamp a 2x4 to my ROPS. Notice the throttle control (string)

/ Trimming the hedge with the FEL
As an update: I just got a Black and Decker 18 volt battery operated hedge trimmer - it will be used in place of the 100 volt model I used in the first experiment of trimming from the FEL. Same size cutting bar.

I did a half hour of hand trimming with the new trimmer this afternoon just to see what it could do. It ran for the alloted time with no complaint and cut everything I wanted trimmed. Wild rose (this stuff will rip you right out of the tractor seat if it gets a hold of ya), bull brush at the edge of the lawn, ground cover, fire bushes, lilacs, evergreens, and some other stuff. The battery was not dead when I knocked off. Sure was a lot easier than dragging wires all over the place.

This trimmer will be the FEL mounted trimmer for the hedges. I have a ton of the 18 volt batteries - so no problem there.

I'll post pictures the next time I am trimming the hedge from the tractor seat.

/ Trimming the hedge with the FEL #23  
zzvyb6 said:
Have you considered duct taping an old garage sale rotary lawn mower to your bucket and eliminating the electric cord?
Not duck tape
But been planning out a way to transfer pushing a hand mower to a tractor.
The great thing about that is the tractor can push the mower where a person can't.

/ Trimming the hedge with the FEL #24  
Blagadan said:
I sure wish I had a loader.... would make height corrections a cinch.. work with what you got right?

You don't have to have a loader .
Rig it up on your 3 point and eliminate the trailer.
The support you have the trimmer attached to could also be clamped to the ROPS.

/ Trimming the hedge with the FEL #25  
marksmu said:
The samuri looks useful for the hedges and over fencelines....but under the fenceline, using one of those is just a joke.

I mean comon, its clearly slow as could be, requires turning, forward, backward, forward backward...its going to put so much unnecessary wear on your tractor.

How hard is it to walk with a weedeater and trim under your fence? Seriously?

I have an 800 acre ranch I have to trim twice a year, and while it takes ALL day two days in a row with 3 people doing it, its much more practical than wearing out your tractors. Anyone who is honestly thinking about using that to trim under the fences is just lazy or stupid, or both.

Thats just my opinion.
Mowing the perimeter of an 800 acre ranch...Here's what you need...:D
The Fence Mower: Fence Mowing Made Easy!

/ Trimming the hedge with the FEL #27  
LBrown59 said:
Not duck tape
But been planning out a way to transfer pushing a hand mower to a tractor.
The great thing about that is the tractor can push the mower where a person can't.

I'm thinking you could point the side discharge to the right, and remove most of the skirting on the front side of the mower housing. That way, the weeds or briars contact the blade before the housing deflects them. That way, it makes a smoother cut and doesn't load the engine down as bad. Since the openings are pointed away from you, it should be pretty safe.

/ Trimming the hedge with the FEL #28  
slewisma said:
Wow! Exactly what I need for the multi-flora rose disaster on the neighboring farm's fence. So overgrown that the whole fence is falling into my yard from the wind blowing on it. They won't maintain it and killing it all off seemed too extreme but I wasn't going to go hand trim 300' of this stuff.

Thanks for the link. Kind of expensive for taking care of the neighbor's messy fenceline for them but I have plenty of other uses for it too.

Reconsidering the Samurai. Price is just too high. I'm not thinking a Stihl HL100 with the articulating trimmer and 59" shaft may be just fine for less than 1/2 the price. Not sure I can rig it to mount on the tractor but then again I can take it places the tractor won't go.

/ Trimming the hedge with the FEL #29  
Around here the land is not quite so flat and level. If tried, would end up with a wavy hedge that looked like a sea sick land lubber had stumbled up to and trimmed. Plastic hedges are so much easier and can change them out with the seasons and the neighbors never seem to notice the difference.

/ Trimming the hedge with the FEL #30  
zzvyb6 said:
Have you considered duct taping an old garage sale rotary lawn mower to your bucket and eliminating the electric cord?

Has he thought abot lowering the height of the hedge.. :D