Trip report: Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i

/ Trip report: Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i #11  
I have wondered about this. What is the safety protocol when welding in an area with multiple weldors? I can't imagine y'all just keep your hoods on all day long. I went to a small, informal workshop recently, where there were three stations. It was fairly easy to just avert your eyes from the stations--look down at the floor or whatever. But even still, I occasionally caught a glimpse of an arc. Fortunately, it was a little TIG or MIG arc and not a big SMAW arc.

/ Trip report: Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i #14  
Well, I bought me one of these yesterday, and I'm happy. Got it set up and ran some beads with 3/32 6013 and .035 FC. So far so good. I can't get too involved because my garage is filled with sawdust, varnish fillings and partially completed wood projects, so I have to get the fire hazard reduced.

Seem to run a steady bead, and I'm looking forward to some lo-hy.

You will enjoy the Hot Start and Arc Force on Stick. Trigger lock for hand amptroll on Tig too. Jan 1 they get the new Tweco Fusion Gun with the new style consumables.

/ Trip report: Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i #15  
Mike I remember in that same shop we got in a fairly small contract. The contract was called "Blast Doors". If I knew what they were for I forgot, most likely didn't even know, because they were for the local Trident submarine base. The material was really heavy angle iron and C-channel, the pieces were so heavy it was about all we could do to pick them up and set them on the welding table. Then we used the overhead cranes to roll the units. All welds were 3/4-inch fillets, we were running 3/32-inch dual shield. Soon as my partner and I got going the light from him welding was coming in my hood from behind. I found a half sheet of plywood and placed it between us. Thought everything was hunky dorrie! Until about 2:30 the next morning, I couldn't take it anymore, had the wife run me to the emergency room. About the middle of the next week my wife could pull layers of skin off the side of my face and neck.:laughing:

Yowza! My eye lids are cooked right now from holding for my partner while he did some tack up work. It happens quick! Esp if your a fair skinned ginger! LOL!

/ Trip report: Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i #16  
Mike one thing that was real funny about that ordeal. We hadn't lived in that house too long, just bought it. Our next door neighbor was real religious. When I got my wife up to take me to the emergency room because my eyes were killing me, she had to help me down the concrete steps to the lower parking spots because I couldn't open my eyes. Few days later the neighbor says "you must have really tied one on the other night". Funny part is, I've never been a drinker or smoker!:laughing:

/ Trip report: Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i #17  
Mike one thing that was real funny about that ordeal. We hadn't lived in that house too long, just bought it. Our next door neighbor was real religious. When I got my wife up to take me to the emergency room because my eyes were killing me, she had to help me down the concrete steps to the lower parking spots because I couldn't open my eyes. Few days later the neighbor says "you must have really tied one on the other night". Funny part is, I've never been a drinker or smoker!:laughing:

Now thats funny! Basically because thats how my luck goes! LOL

/ Trip report: Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i #18  
I could see it. A movable, foldable screen, like those room dividers you see at the home decor stores.

Yeah. A lot of manufacturers offer shade 10-12 plastic tarp like sheets with grommets to hook on to frames to seperate the stations You still see a lot of flashes but they are safe. My dog watched me weld one day and I was unaware. We had to hold him down and squeeze potato juice in his eys. He was running around with his eyes rubbing in the dirt. Poor guy .Ok the next day though. Nasty..

/ Trip report: Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i #19  
My dog watched me weld one day and I was unaware. We had to hold him down and squeeze potato juice in his eys. He was running around with his eyes rubbing in the dirt. Poor guy

Having flashed myself, I'm kind of amazed that any animal would voluntarily stand there and expose itself to the arc. It's really uncomfortable! My cat wants nothing to do with me when I'm welding.