Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model)

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model)
ONLY the 5 speeds pull up / push down. the 4 speed is the 'H' like a standard shifter in a truck essentially.

not sure what 'round plate' you are refering to??
I looked online & ( think it is the reverse idler bracket?? I know my tractor doesn't have that
plate bolted on the side. I hope to go see it this weekend. I know where to look for the serial number...if battery acid hasn't messed it up!

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #22  
I need to correct myself on the transmission. It is a four speed, but the stick does look different from mine, now that you point it out.

I am going to stick with my first assessment: it is a 5 speed. There is a round plate for the reverse idler on 5 speeds. It is above the brake pedals.

I am going to stick with my first assessment: it is a 5 speed. There is a round plate for the reverse idler on 5 speeds. It is above the brake pedals.
Yes - that is the same thing read earlier - but I am certain he said it had a high and a low range?? Maybe he is just confused. I still don't understand why it just says '801' on the side, it looks like there was something written underneath it. I don't think those fenders are correct either, are they?

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #24  
Yes - that is the same thing read earlier - but I am certain he said it had a high and a low range?? Maybe he is just confused. I still don't understand why it just says '801' on the side, it looks like there was something written underneath it. I don't think those fenders are correct either, are they?

he may have sat it had a 5 speed and a high / low.. but he's mistaken about one of those statements.. :)
the up/down gates on a 5spd tend to confuse the bajeebers out of people. I bought a tractor from a guy one time and he swore up and down it was only 1spd.. just forward and reverse... and he showed me how it shifted in the top gate... :) someone may think the top ate is the straight thru shuttle forward and reverse, and the next gate down is the 'underdrive with 1/2 gears, and the lowest gate is the overdrive with 4/5 gears... but it's really just a stacked 5spd...with reverse and 3rd on top in a convienient pseudo shuttle arangement.

fenders and tins get swapped all over.. can't trust a decal or anything on them.. might as well say john deer on them for all the good it does.

hood top from a 901 setting on a 600 don't add any hp or bull gears.. :)

soundguy

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #25  

I have to agree with strum456, that is a 5 speed. The "round plate" you refered to in an earlier post is the reverse idler bracket. The reverse idler bracket was only on the 5 speed.

The "801" on the side is the series number. 841, 851, 861 etc. are all 801 series. All are based on the same tractor, just with different options.

The writing on the side says "Ford 801 Powermaster". Under that it says "Diesel".

Those fenders are the correct ones. They have the ford script in raised letters. The 801 series came with this fender.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Mike

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #26  
The transmission oil fill cap is another tell tale sign that it's a 5 speed.

The four speed tranny has the shifter on the right side and oil fill cap on the left side of the shifter cover.

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #27  
Another vote for 5-speed based in the picture.

As to what its worth....that all depends on how it is mechanically. IE...how it runs. If it smokes as bad as you say, and it may be nearing a rebuild....then the price is going to be a lot less.

A relative of mine just had an estate auction last year. One of the tractors sold was a 860 gas. Ran great, but tires werent great (heald air though). Other than that, it was in about average condition. Winning bid was only $1600.

FYI - you guys were right - 5 speed. I don't know enough about the old Fords to even guess as to the smoking issue. It fires right up, but it will choke you from the smoke.

It also had old decals underneath the 801 powermaster - couldn't make out what they said, but different size letters etc...

I didn't see him do any work with it, but he says it pulls the box blade w/no trouble (loaded)...

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #29  
FYI - you guys were right - 5 speed. I don't know enough about the old Fords to even guess as to the smoking issue. It fires right up, but it will choke you from the smoke.

It also had old decals underneath the 801 powermaster - couldn't make out what they said, but different size letters etc...

I didn't see him do any work with it, but he says it pulls the box blade w/no trouble (loaded)...

Smoking like crazy definatally isnt a good thing.

But can you describe the "smoke" a little better?

If it is bluish and smells kinda like rubber burning, then it is probabally burning oil.

If it is white smoke, and smells sweet (like antifreeze) then it is burning coolant.

Either way is probabally going to require a teardown to fix properly and make sure everything is in good condition. But it could be something as simple as valve seals too.

/ Trouble starting my Ford 8?? (I can't figure out the exact model) #30  
i'd look at the smoke, water / water level, oil / oil level, and then do a dry / wet compression test, plus evaluate the oil pressure on an oil change.. before I did anything...