Trouble with MMM shaft coupling

/ Trouble with MMM shaft coupling #1  

Rusty4242

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
I am trying to remove the MMM on my BX23 for the first time and can't seem to remove the coupling from the PTO shaft. How far forward does the coupling travel and is their a pin to push once I pull it back? Thanks, Rusty.

/ Trouble with MMM shaft coupling #2  
I'd say it pushes maybe 1/2 inch. If jiggling it around a bit doesn't do it, you might try (after first making sure its secure, although that seems to be the problem), starting the engine, engage the PTO for a second or two, turn PTO off, shut engine off, and try again.

/ Trouble with MMM shaft coupling #3  
If possible, use both hands for a symetrical tug. The collar should retract easily with an even tug on it. I pull (or hold in place) the shaft toward the PTO, while pushing back on the collar with each thumb.

/ Trouble with MMM shaft coupling
Thanks, I'll try it again in the morning. Rusty

/ Trouble with MMM shaft coupling #5  
Rusty,
Those shafts can be a little stubborn the first time off. Chances are, the tractor has been sitting in a lot, not to mention how long you have had it without removing the shaft. Like the others said, get a good grip and tug hard (wiggling helps to). A thin layer of grease after you get it off, and it will be a piece of cake the next time.

/ Trouble with MMM shaft coupling #6  
You think getting it off is Hard, Just wait untill you try to get it back on. It must be lined up just right. But like some posted here, grease goes a long way in helping that. Also this weekend, I got home and worked my BX 23, and in the process, of reinstalling the MMM I turned the shaft on the tractor, and also, had hit the slector from Mid Shaft to Rear, and could not get it to engage the MId-Pto, found it has gears, or something. While working the rear-PTO it made a grinding noise, and that gave me the clue I needed. I turned the tractor off, and turned the blades on the MMM by hand, and then, I could move the slector again to the Mid-Pto position. I had though I had broke it. Also remember when you have the deck off, find all your Zirk's, there are one each on each end of the Shaft. Also, try and get some on the Shaff.

Troy

/ Trouble with MMM shaft coupling #7  
For whatever reason my MMM on my BX23 has been on and off about a dozen times this week, the latest reason was a flat. I was frustrated last night changing the tire so while taking the MMM off I just grabbed ahold of the shaft and gave it a good tug, my pinky finger was wrapped around the shaft so when the two ends slide together a patch of skin about a quarter inch square came off, needless to say I spoke in tongues for a few minutes. So in this tale is a word of caution, once you get the shaft off you will have no trouble in the future, but watch those fingers.

/ Trouble with MMM shaft coupling #8  
You should be able to lock the collar back then pull the shaft off the pto. That is how it works on my well oiled and cleaned pto and shaft assembly.
If your's doesn't come off that easily, I would recommend to just roll the MMM out of the way, letting the pto shaft split with one half staying with the MMM and the other remaining on the pto. This will give you more room to get the half shaft off of the pto.
Once off clean everything off and using PB Blaster or 3-In-1 oil or WD-40, give the pto, shaft collar, the inside of the half shaft and the outside of the other half shaft where it slides over the other a good bath. Everything should slide together and on/off alot easier.

Good luck

/ Trouble with MMM shaft coupling #9  
Volfandt said:
You should be able to lock the collar back then pull the shaft off the pto. That is how it works on my well oiled and cleaned pto and shaft assembly.
If your's doesn't come off that easily, I would recommend to just roll the MMM out of the way, letting the pto shaft split with one half staying with the MMM and the other remaining on the pto. This will give you more room to get the half shaft off of the pto.
Once off clean everything off and using PB Blaster or 3-In-1 oil or WD-40, give the pto, shaft collar, the inside of the half shaft and the outside of the other half shaft where it slides over the other a good bath. Everything should slide together and on/off alot easier.

Good luck
This method should work. Just make sure when you put the shaft back together, that it is lined up properly. This year when I put the mower on my B7800 I had a funny noise every time I pushed in the clutch or lowered the rpm's. After talking to the dealer he said to make sure the shaft was put together correctly. The shaft should only slide on one way (the splines should only go together one way). The shaft should have a weld on it to fit the missing spline on the female end. Mine did not have this and would go together no matter how you lined it up. The two yokes should be in the exact same direction when installed corectly. It must be a ballance thing.
Good luck