trouble with pto

/ trouble with pto #1  

hernando

Silver Member
Tractor
dk 4510 kioti and a 450 case track loader
I have a 1540 massy ferguson...when using the bushhog and I get in tall grass its like the pto slows down and then will start back up .sometimes it stops altogether....but when I raise the lift it starts back up ...I have replaced the dash switch ..it didn't help....any ideas what I can check ??? I don't want to tear it down and put a pto clutch in it unless I have too. thanks for the help bruce

/ trouble with pto #2  
You probably will need to put a new PTO clutch in it , when it slips like that ,it usually the PTO clutch. Also ,does you tractor's engine slow down when you start mowing? It could also be that your mower is too big .

/ trouble with pto
thanks for the help....the engine don't slow down.but yesterday the pto wouldn't turn off. so I taped on the pto solenoid and it stoped turning,, I was hopeing for a easy fix ...looks like I will be putting a clutch in this winter ,,,thanks bruce

/ trouble with pto #4  
do you have a slip clutch on your mower

/ trouble with pto
yes sir I do

/ trouble with pto #6  
that could be the problem

/ trouble with pto #7  
If you have a switch and solenoid for the PTO, it is most likely a hydraulic issue, if the solenoid reacts to "tapping", the solenoid might be bad.
The clutch slips because of low hydraulic pressure. It could also be a bad seal in the hydraulic clutch itself.

Bert

/ trouble with pto
thanks for the replys,,looks like I need a clutch,,,anyone ever change one oh these ?? thanks bruce

/ trouble with pto #9  
tractor clutch yes, slip clutch on mower yes, one is easy and one is a pain.