Troy Bilt Horse vs Econo-Horse

/ Troy Bilt Horse vs Econo-Horse #31  
Hey that looks great! Although I think I would paint the blue sometime down the road.
Wayne

How 'bout leave the engine blue, and paint the handles white for a patriotic theme :thumbsup:

/ Troy Bilt Horse vs Econo-Horse
How 'bout leave the engine blue, and paint the handles white for a patriotic theme :thumbsup:

:laughing: I do still need to paint the handles. :)

Actually, this winter I'm thinking of tearing it down and having a friend who owns a powder coating company powder coat the tine hood and handles.

But I think I've got the patriotic thing covered as I've got white wheels! ****, I even splurged for 2 bucks on new chrome axle caps for it! The old ones were rusted beyond recognizable!

/ Troy Bilt Horse vs Econo-Horse #33  
You asked about sharpening your tines.

I have a few questions about that myself. I was wondering if the tines are hardened through and through or if there is an "edge" that is face hardened. I remember reading in a welding book that you could weld on another edge to implements, and I wasn't sure if or how this applied to tiller tines.

I didn't want to complicate things further in my previous post about your issue with there maybe being a spacer missing in the gearbox on your other tiller. The parts book shows two different parts schematics. You may want to look through the parts book to see if you can figure out if a spacer is missing because it looks like there are two variations on this.

I don't know of a service manual for the tiller transmission. As I read my service book, it seems to imply that you'd get the complete transmission assembly from the factory rather than do user service. Then there was there complete half price factory rebuild offer, but I suspect that went away when Garden Way filed bankruptcy.

Now that red, white and blue.....

/ Troy Bilt Horse vs Econo-Horse #34  
I will probably part out the HH60s as I don't care to throw parts at them to try to get them running. I may ask my brother about them as he's more small engine knowledgeable than me. He may be able to tinker between the 2 and get it fired with little effort. I will let you know on the pull start.

Yep, I tilled our garden with it. It did pretty well. I put the better of the 2 set of tines on it. When the rust came off, looks like the **** things tilled rocks at one point! Can you sharpen them? It did good though. Tilled the first part of the garden with the motor at about half throttle. :) Worked great...

Okay with the pull start, I have an old engine that I broke the pull start on so now I just use a rope and start it like they use to in the old days...LOL Most of the old engines are strong and can be fixed mainly the carb gets gummed up because gas was left in them. Rebuild the carb and most of them start right up.

I don't think it is possible to sharpen / reshape the tines. If they are pointed then they are worn down below the useable length and should be replaced at some point. Check the book and it shows what a good tine looks like and a worn pointed tine.

The spacing is an other issue with trying to put a new edge on a tine. I am sure you could maybe do it, but you are going to be missing areas in the tilling zone. Another thing you can do is take the outside tines and reverse them with the inside tines. Just a thought.

Glad to see you got it working and it tilled the garden for you. Make it work before you make it pretty. Suggest you check for lubricant leaks as you go and keep the level up in the transmission and tine areas.

Wayne

/ Troy Bilt Horse vs Econo-Horse #35  
A good coat of dirt and dust and you won't notice the paint thing.

Thanks guys...

I believe the shaft in the second tiller may be what is called an assembled shaft vs a welded shaft...but I haven't confirmed that. I'll look at it once I get back out there.

I parked the tiller on a spot free area last night. Plan on checking for leaks tomorrow. :) Want to be sure I didn't fubar any of the seals on assy.

The tine shaft, I found out I need to reshim it...so I'm going to check my 'stock' to see if I forgot to reassemble something...I'll order gaskets for that at the same time I order the repair parts for the other one.

As for looks...it looks semi-perty... It has the 'I was once rusted and someone spray bombed me' look. Looks OK...but powder coating the tine shield or at least sand blasting it and putting new paint on it would be a much better approach than what I've done so far.

/ Troy Bilt Horse vs Econo-Horse #37  
WayneB, where did you find tines for your tiller? I'd prefer to get a good set and not some chinese mystery metal tines.

Tore into the other tiller tonight. Trans is pretty fubared.

Rough list of parts I'd need to fix.

1) Shifter handle(hi lo)....it was rusted pretty bad and about ready to break at the pivot.
2) All seals and gaskets
3) Tine worm gear is shot....but could probably be used to sell it
4) Main shaft is assembled shaft. Rear worm gear is toast. Needs new main shaft or new rear worm gear.

All of that and I'd still have to get that Tecumseh engine running or sell it without an engine. I expect with an engine, could get 600 for it...maybe 550. Without an engine, could get 400 for it...

I'm thinking by the time I fix it, I may end up with just as much in parts and time as I would get out of it. I figure I've got 200 in it right now for the purchase.

I think I may have gotten taken on this one...but it donated parts to the other to get it rolling...so I'm not too regretful. So maybe say I have 150 in this one.

What would you guys do? Not sure how much the 'good' parts I have would go for on ebay.

Thanks,
Greg

/ Troy Bilt Horse vs Econo-Horse #39  
I would put it on Craig's List and see what happens. There is a butt for every seat!

Wayne

/ Troy Bilt Horse vs Econo-Horse #40  
Someone has a bunch of used T bilt parts on ebait. Maybe you find what you need cheap or sell what you have. I dunno.