Trying to decide on first tractor

/ Trying to decide on first tractor #1  

Armymutt

Tractor
JD 455
Read through a few of the threads like this, but nothing addresses my situation. I have about 22 acres of woods, trails, etc. My plan is to clear some of the woods for food plots, maintain the trails I had mulched, pull stumps, move dirt around to maintain shooting berms, etc, I was looking at a MF 135, but have read that they aren't good with a FEL due to a lack of power steering. I also want a backhoe, but am also reading that the 3-pt mount isn't an ideal solution, and haven't seen much in the way of subframe mounts. Implement wise, I'm looking at a plow, disk, box blade, bushhog, maybe a tiller. Budget wise, I'd like to stay under $12-15K for tractor plus a couple of implements. We have a classic tractor dealer/repair place close by that will pick up and return a tractor for $50-100 round trip. I have a stream to cross and some muddy spots. The land is sloped, not sure of the actual grade, but it may be a factor.

/ Trying to decide on first tractor #2  
I do not know how close a Kubota dealer is but I would look at a new Kubota L2501 with 4-WD and ag tires. $16,500 without Backhoe and assuming use can use a 3-Pt. Dirt Scoop in lieu of a FEL but NEW and reliable.

I'm looking at a plow, disk, box blade, bushhog, maybe a tiller. L2501 will pull implements you have listed five feet in width. If you buy a tiller you will not need a plow nor a Disc Harrow. Personally, I would prefer a PTO tiller.

13-1/2" ground clearance.

LINK: Compact Tractors | L2501 | Kubota Tractor Corporation

Last edited:
   / Trying to decide on first tractor #3  
A 3pt dirt scoop isn't even close to a replacement for an FEL, and it sure isn't going to help maintain/build shooting berms.

/ Trying to decide on first tractor #4  
I would sway toward the Massey, I agree they are not ideal with a loader, however they will work. For all the other implements mentioned the Massey will exceed. They are simple efficient tractors and will be working long after the electronics in any new tractor will have failed. Even with the loader if you confine it to the 1000 lbs. the Kubota will lift it will handle easily. I have moved hundreds of round bales with mine weighing over 800 lbs. and it works well. Depending on your food plots, a plow and harrow can do just as good a job, cheaper and just as fast. Rototillers are great for clean soil, but in a woods situation (food plots) give me a plow and harrow any day.

/ Trying to decide on first tractor
Now I'm thinking of getting two machines. A backhoe to do the digging tasks and a tractor for the farming tasks. Probably end up cheaper in the end. I've seen backhoes for around $6-8K and old tractors for $4k. I go back and forth on the plow and tiller. The woods I'm clearing is all tiny pines - less than 3" diameter. The tilling part would be the area that will be a garden, but I can probably do that with the plow and disk for less.

/ Trying to decide on first tractor #6  
Now I'm thinking of getting two machines. A backhoe to do the digging tasks and a tractor for the farming tasks. Probably end up cheaper in the end. I've seen backhoes for around $6-8K and old tractors for $4k. I go back and forth on the plow and tiller. The woods I'm clearing is all tiny pines - less than 3" diameter. The tilling part would be the area that will be a garden, but I can probably do that with the plow and disk for less.

I'm in Michigan and an old tractor usually goes a little less. But that sounds like a good plan and look at junk/scrap yards for cheap equipment

/ Trying to decide on first tractor #7  
Keep an eye out for a John Deere 790 or 990 with a loader. Stout for size, newer and very reliable and would be in your price range.

Kubota l3200 or l3800 with loader as well, same attributes as above good tractors.

Any above with 500 to 1,000 hours would be good ones.

As far as a hoe, is it for clearing the little pines?

/ Trying to decide on first tractor #8  
That is a good plan, an older loader hoe would be better than any tractor for dirt work. A Massey 135 would run a tiller easily, if you got one so that would not be much of an issue, if you are looking at a tiller make sure you get an independent or at least live PTO. Ford thousand series, Massey hundred series, JD new generation, International 04 series, most any up into the 60's. Draw back on some is no 3 point so check on that. As a little side note, I have a JD 790 I bought new in 05', I wouldn't trade my Massey 135 for a 790 and a 990 together, just saying.

/ Trying to decide on first tractor #9  
Yeah I'm crazy. I just read the hilly muddy part and the first time tractor owner part and was trying to think of good reliable values in newer used 4WD tractor with a front end loader. Stuff that has ROPS and seat safety switches and independent PTO and what not. Massey 135 is a great tractor no doubt, but the odds of needing some kind of major repair (clutch, cracked head, etc.) on that recently rattle canned "restored" 50 year old $3,500 tractor are much higher than a 10 year old one.

8,000 older hoe will most likely be 2wd as well. The loader will be stouter than a newer compact tractor for sure, as well as the hoe - downside is for that money it is going to be an old very worn machine and you will be changing out hoses, pins and bushings, rebuilding hydraulic cylinders etc. every time you turn around.

/ Trying to decide on first tractor #10  
For your jobs, you need 4WD and a real loader. Go used, as there is no way new will get under 15K. But don't go with the cheapest thing you find either, that will cost you more in the long run. You should be able to find a decent used tractor with 4WD and loader, maybe even a backhoe with 3PTH, for under 15K. I don't think 2 machines is the way to go for you, and it will cost you way more for decent machinery. Remember, you want working tools, not expensive projects.