Trying to decide which size tractor to buy

/ Trying to decide which size tractor to buy #11  
Always remember you can do a little job with a big tractor but you can't do a big job with a little tractor.
Nuff Said !!!!!!!

/ Trying to decide which size tractor to buy #12  
I was in your situation when I bought. I went kioti for the weight. It will out dig all the others mentioned. However, you might do better to rent a stump grinder and then go subcut. The 2320 with those attachments you mentioned sounds about right once you remove the stumps from the equation.

I have a backhoe and it is a beast to store. Need nearly twice the space if you don't leave it on the tractor. Unless you have a lot of ditches and retaining walls to dig, forego the backhoe. Big stumps also demand big equipment. I found out the hard way. Grind them below grade and happily mow away.

/ Trying to decide which size tractor to buy #13  
Always remember you can do a little job with a big tractor but you can't do a big job with a little tractor.
Nuff Said !!!!!!!

I'm about 80% in agreement with you. Its easy to work my 85hp tractor at 25hp or use 3000 lb loader capacity to lift 500 lb logs. Its really hard to make a 25hp do an 85 hp job save propane injection. Or to lift 3000 lb pallets with only 500 lbs of lift capacity. But my setup is nearly 7 ft wide 20 ft long and over 8 foot tall and weighs in at 10000 lbs. Believe me there are plenty of places i cant go like my yard during spring thaw. But thankfully all my neighbors have 20 - 40 hp SCUTs or CUTs. If i find a job to small i just ask them. Because they have all asked me for Assistance when their tractor's are not up to the task.

/ Trying to decide which size tractor to buy
I went to the local Yanmar dealership (I didn't realize that cub and yanmar split) and talked with the dealer there a bunch. I ended up driving an Ex3200 with FEL and turf tires around the yard. Still trying to get the grin off of my face!!!! Totally different experience than the neighbors 276d. I was looking for something a little smaller than this, but it was this, the sx3100, or down to the 2400 series. The 2400 series seemed so tiny sitting next to these!!!! I got quoted 15,500 plus 1,240 sales tax as the unit sat. The sx3100 is a little more money because of some features, but I really did like the 3 speed hydrostatic and the bigger feel of the 3200. The price doesn't seem to bad, but he says that price will expire Dec 31st and it will go up about 3 grand!! :thumbdown: Does anyone here know if yanmar will have some incentive for the new year?

When I asked the dealer what model he would suggest, he showed me the 2400 series and said it should do all the things I list. I didn't mention the stumps to him as from what I am hearing from you guys, I am better off renting a grinder or paying someone with bigger equipment to get this done in a day.

The ex3200 seems a lot bigger than the JD2520 that my coworker has as well. At 2500 lbs of weight it sure is heavier!! Also 32 horse vs 26...

Will this thing destroy my yard being so big and heavy? Will the turf tires be okay on my hill in 4wd? The dealer said he could put R4s on it but it will cost some money and it won't be as nice to the yard. Maybe tomorrow I will come down from my excitement and feel this tractor is too big.....but it was a blast driving it around today.

PS...Dealer said 5-7 days for any part that he doesn't have in stock. First service (50hr) is free. Free delivery and full tank of diesel.

Joe

/ Trying to decide which size tractor to buy #15  
Have you looked at Mahindra? The Mahindra MAX28XL is one very nice tractor with good specs.

From all I've read the yanmar is a good tractor. Price not bad. But, you should really try many many makes and models before jumping in. They are all good, and will leave you with the feeling you got today. But, eventually one will be the obvious right choice for you. You are wise to skip the hoe.

The 2320/2520 are still not a bad choice, especially if also mowing. Did you look at the JD 3038? Kubotas are good for mowing too. Digging: Kioti, Mahindra, Bobcat. LS is also a very good value. The 1600 series massey's are awesome, but pricey.

Heavier machines are not good for mowing. Not so much about grass tear, though that is a problem too. But it's more about compaction. I had mine in my vegetable garden about 5 years back working a bank that leads down to it. Made the ground under the back tires where I was working as hard as concrete. Just now really getting it broken up good with a tiller (can't get a plow in there).

Turfs, R4s, R1s. They all have their place. The R4 is super tough and wide (stable); great for dry ground work, in the woods, and allow for maximum weight. The R1s are best in the mud (R4s no good here) and can be width adjusted. Turfs for mowing, and they are pretty good for hard surface snow removal too.

/ Trying to decide which size tractor to buy #16  
Just read in the Bobcat forum where new CT235's are being offered for about $14K. If you can find that deal, it's more tractor than the Yanmar.

/ Trying to decide which size tractor to buy #17  
I do not recommend a CT235 because of the sticking hydro pedal.

/ Trying to decide which size tractor to buy #18  
I do not recommend a CT235 because of the sticking hydro pedal.

I don't see where this is an inherent design flaw. There are only a few reported cases across hundreds (probably thousands) sold in both Kioti and BC. And from what I've read, the manufacturer has fixed this for most of the tiny portion of users that have had the problem. Just test drive the heck out of the exact one you might buy.

I know a farmer that has a Kubota L4240 and he has to replace the front wheel bearings every year (200 hrs). So, maybe I should say folks shouldn't buy an L4240. But, I won't.

/ Trying to decide which size tractor to buy #19  
Reading through your post I was thinking at first you need jd 1023 because funds are somewhat limited( so is everyone really). I haven't shopped lately so I'm not on top for pricing, but it seems ( for JD anyway) that every step up in tractor size is only a little more money. Well when is enough enough? You have 4 acres which is huge if you've just moved out of the city but small if your retiring from the farm. The " I've never heard anyone complain they bought too big" saying is only partially true. I have JD2320. Don't get caught up in the spec war. Yeah the flow rate is half of the 2520. Two issues the JD 2320 has:

1. Top gear is a travel gear only. Well I guess it slows down some tasks, but likely not by a whole lot though.

2. The cycle rate of the loader. I noticed it was a little slow when I was spreading the gravel for my drives, I only did three times. I can live with that. For "normal" tasks it's totally a non issue.

If you can save money on that used JD 2320, I'd jump on it. I think you have the right size tractor when you 95% of the time your happy and 5% of the time you wished you had bought a larger one. JMO.

/ Trying to decide which size tractor to buy #20  
you could digg arould the stumps with the hoe and then if they are far enough away from building u could burn them then finish digging them out i would buy the used JD the hour on it are not many does it come with any warantty i would never buy another new tractor