Trying to help my father get his backhoe back up and running Woods BH750-2

/ Trying to help my father get his backhoe back up and running Woods BH750-2 #11  
By all means help yerself, I stole it from someone at work :) ......Mike

/ Trying to help my father get his backhoe back up and running Woods BH750-2
thanks Fred H and all

Ok so just to clarify are you saying the last one is the exact right size, if so I'll probably give it a try. Any idea how it would compare quality wise and strength my father has a tendency to use it like he working with an excavator. Also any idea if the 3" one would be stronger and still fit. I'm going to look into the return policy on that site and see if its worth trying even if you all are not sure. Thanks so much for the help, he just asked me today what I thought he should do, he said he found a place that would try to repair it for him but it would cost a couple hundred dollars, I really think its not worth trying to repair and this place is a two hour drive away. Again thanks for the help.

Yep, they can tell you the square root of a pickle but can't figure out how to get it out of a jar....Mike

Nice I'm going to have to keep that one in mind, I should get a T-shirt made up to wear to the next family function.

Just figured I'd update for anyone searching in the future, I'm pretty sure the cylinder from Surplus Center will not work I went to take measurements of the length, which actually seemed correct, but luckily I noted that the width of the ends is way to big (rod end is 2 1/2 but tha ones shows 3 1/2). Anyway thanks to everyone for suggestions I have exhausted my search and going to have to fork out the money for the OEM one.

/ Trying to help my father get his backhoe back up and running Woods BH750-2 #15  
The rod end can easily be cut down. It is just a piece of DOM tubing. A sawzall, cutoff wheel on angle grinder, bi-metal blade on jigsaw or even a hack saw would do the job with no harm to the cylinder or its function

The rod end can easily be cut down. It is just a piece of DOM tubing. A sawzall, cutoff wheel on angle grinder, bi-metal blade on jigsaw or even a hack saw would do the job with no harm to the cylinder or its function

I got thinking the same thing, seems like it would be east to do that, my dad said sure we can do that. So I went back today for one last check before ordering. I realized that I never bothered to measure the diameter on the base end of the cylinder. The specs on the one from Surplus center says the base end is 2 7/8". It was hard to measure as it tampers and little and it is still on the hoe (I really should take it off I guess) but I got about 2 1/4" on it and its a tight fit so still looking like a no go, dang it.

Oh one quick question would the "digging force" listed for that cylinder in the manual for the backhoe be comparable to the surplus cylinder or is there really no way to be sure. I am so tempted to order and try to make it work and save $250 but if it doesn't it will cost me $35 to $40 to ship it back. I think I will take the cylinder off and measure with a caliper to double check but pretty sure it is going to be smaller.

/ Trying to help my father get his backhoe back up and running Woods BH750-2 #18  
The cylinder Fred H posted from Surplus Center is a 2.5" bore cylinder and the OEM is a 2" bore, that is the reason the diameter is so different between the two. A 2" bore @ 2000psi pushes with 6283 pounds of force. A 2.5" bore @ 2000psi gives 9817 pounds of pushing force. So that cylinder would have noticably stronger digging force. S. Center doesn't show a 2"X 16.75" cylinder, the closest they have is 16.125" or 17" stroke. I will bet either one would work without much issue.

Ok if you were going to choose which one to go with would you go with the shorter one or longer one? It doesn't seem like much of a difference but does that small difference get magnify over the full length of the boom. I need to just stop procrastinating and do it I guess.

After more looking on the site and looking at all the measurements of each one the 17" one will definitely not work the retracted length is way to long. The 16 1/8" one is very close on retracted length (within 1/4") and has the right size end and pin hole sizes so I am pretty certain it would actually fit in with no problem but the downside to this one is its 5/8" shorter stroke and that seems like it might make a difference at the end of the bucket curl, I think maybe my engineer brother might be able to help with that calculation lol. Also the rod diameter is only 1" vs OEM almost 1 1/2" which doesn't necessarily mean it is weaker I guess buit I bet my dad would say "geez I break that little rod in two days". I've got maybe two more weeks before project really need to start so if I dont settle on one by then it will have to be the OEM one. I really do appreciate all the help on here.

Last edited:
   / Trying to help my father get his backhoe back up and running Woods BH750-2 #20  
The 1" rod may be a problem, I thought they all had at least 1.125 rods. Yes, the smaller the rod, the more prone to bending. I didn't go through all the 16.x" stroke cylinders on their site to see if there was one w/ larger rod, have you compared all of them? I noticed that they had several 2.25"X16.75" cylinders.....I know the outside diameter clearance makes anything larger than 2" bore a tight fit but you might look at them too.