trying to re-do my lawn

/ trying to re-do my lawn #1  

astor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Bx2230
Hi guys,
I had several large tree taken out last Fall, and they beat the heck out of my yard. I have lots of ruts and uneven ground. I bought a BX2230 with a rear blade and FEL mostly for snow removal, but I am starting this yard project now. I have been trying to level the ground before bringing in some top soil to put down. The rearblade is hard to handle. It seems to dig in too deep sometimes and not enough others. Would a landscaping rack attachment make this job a lot easier?? Any other ideas would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Steve

/ trying to re-do my lawn #2  
A rake with gauge wheels does an exelant job of leveling, or maybe you could rig a wheel behind your blade. adjust the wheels so it fills lows and cuts highs,once wheels are set it automatic, just drive

/ trying to re-do my lawn #3  
Ruts are a pain in the neck. I've had the best luck using the tiller and rake.

/ trying to re-do my lawn #4  
<font color="blue">"Any other ideas would be appreciated." </font>

Uh, OK, here goes......

Do like I do..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Spray Roundup or Reward on the area in question.
Cover with black plastic.
Add lots of pine needles. Add a bush or two. Maybe a few native flowers or native trees.
Voila! Natural area. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Less grass to cut. (leaves more time for tractorin') /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Less grass to water. (very good during droughts) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Less grass to fertilize. (save the money for tractorin' stuff) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ trying to re-do my lawn #5  
I had probably similar damage due to concrete trucks crossing my lawn. I am not sure where you live, but here in Minnesota the Spring is a very wet time and a very heavy roller can do wonders. It comes down to PSI and moisture. Actually, your pickup has a high PSI. If you need to, sprinkle water on the area for a week or so, then drive on the high spots. Two Spring treatments to my areas has made them disappear. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ trying to re-do my lawn #6  
A box blade or tiller are the ways I'd tackle the area.

/ trying to re-do my lawn #7  
I just did this this w/e. Serveral ruts from me moving stuff across the front yard during the wet period.

I used my B7800 and a york rake to basically "redo" the entire front yard. The york rake is nice in that it finds rocks and mulch most appealing!

1/2 hour later, I was seeding into a nice one or two inches of finally disturbed and distributed top soil. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My wife was not to happy when she saw it, but the green was mostly moss anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I raked over it by hand, because I collected a few rocks, other wise it would have been the garden tractor and the chain link fence, for final covering.

Straw , hopefully is being added as I write this. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike Z.

/ trying to re-do my lawn #8  
Try turning your blade around so it doesn't cut in to the ground so much.

/ trying to re-do my lawn #9  
Ditto what Bo said. A landscape box is the way to go. Set it about an inch above ground level and then have at it. I will cut the high spots and then fill the low ones.