Comparison Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #11  
From time to time I compare childrens shoes to mine. The childrens use far less material so they should be cheaper right? I can put three pairs in each of my shoes so they should be one third less not cost nearly the same, right? I guess they have to pay more per hour for those people with small hands to do the stitching!

It boils down to the technology and the advancements that are more of a deciding fact then the materials cost to build.

Both tractors are higher end then most of the others out there. They are just better built! Now it's up to you to figure how far you want to go!

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #12  
Compare a Toyota Highlander to a Lexus RX 350. Generally the same weight, built by the same company, and same HP. Both get you where you want to go.

In other words, it is a matter of taste.

However, I do most of my loader work with a L48 TLB (HST transmission). Most of the field work (ground engaging) is done with a M7040. In this case it is a matter of the job that needs to be done. It would probably be better if you made the decision on this criteria.

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #13  
I have a GL5040 GST and the differences with the M5140 are interesting. The GST is more fancy in that you have the same hydro reverser but you don't have to clutch to shift gears. It is like the "power shift" on the big AG tractors in use, not sure about design however. So that is a plus. Exact same engine in both tractors but the M5140 has 2 more pto HP. The M5140 I think has a stronger planetary final drive while the GL series has spur gear. M5140 has a much stronger loader on it. Frankly I think for most users the M5140 is just a better deal all the way around than the upper end of the GL series if your not wanting a hydrostatic tractor, and who in their right mind would want that???:p

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #14  
i have an 7040sud fel 4x4 gear tranny open station loaded rear tires cast centers i have i have the 1153 loader on it it will pick up the back of my 3500hd srw no problem id say get the 5140 or bigger go one size up from what you want i been there done that i had an l 3800 way to small

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #15  
tractor1.jpg5040 and ds1440.JPGcutter up all the way.JPGloading prowler.JPGmwing bottum 3.JPG

Couldnt get them in the PM.

Last edited:
   / Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #16  
Some of the price difference could be the market audience the GL is aimed at. Sometimes price has more to do with who is buying than what goes into the equipment.:eek:

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series
Some of the price difference could be the market audience the GL is aimed at. Sometimes price has more to do with who is buying than what goes into the equipment.:eek:

Good point kuboman, I think you are right. The premium pricing appears to be more based on market and demand than anything I can find physically in the tractors specs or capabilities.

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #18  
alot of the price differance is this some of the tractors your looking at have all the bells an whistles an some dont.the q you have to ask yourself is do i want frills or just a plain tractor.like 3R i priced the 8540 after i bought my tractor an it was just $10,000 more.so if you go all bells an whistles know you couldve bought a bigger tractor with the money.

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series
alot of the price differance is this some of the tractors your looking at have all the bells an whistles an some dont.the q you have to ask yourself is do i want frills or just a plain tractor.like 3R i priced the 8540 after i bought my tractor an it was just $10,000 more.so if you go all bells an whistles know you couldve bought a bigger tractor with the money.

I understand the price difference between the standard L series and the Grand L and the MX vs the M Series. You can easily see a difference in specs and "deluxe" features. What I was throwing out for discussion was trying to determine why the larger Grand L's like the 5040 with almost the exact same specifications, is priced higher than the M5140. Both tractors have the same HP and both are "deluxe" series of tractors. The Grand L's are significantly higher priced per HP with all other features being pretty much equal.

I think the best explanation I have seen is that the Grand L's are higher per HP because of their target market and the demand is higher for that much HP in a smaller frame. I am not looking at this so much from a "which one to buy" stand point, that always depends on the individual's needs. I just thought it was surprising to see that the higher HP Grand L's were priced higher than the same size HP M Series tractor.

/ Trying to understand value and pricing of Grand L's vs M Series #20  
I think to answer your question you would need to price out how much it would cost to build each tractor. Of course we don't know the prices of parts but we can make a couple of assumptions. First the engine and all of it's components are about equal in cost. Even though the M is larger the labor (time) to assemble both must be about the same. So the transmission, extra steel, and extra features of the GL are really the only things that would create a difference between the two. Is the loader valve included with the M or is it part of the loader package?