TSC and gate openers

/ TSC and gate openers
   / TSC and gate openers #12  
weldingisfun said:
I've got two MM350 Gate Openers both on 16 foot gates. Had them for about 4 years, minimal problems. The outside gate has the MM Lock on it. Once closed no one will open it without the key or the Keypad code. A shot of WD-40 every month or so and it is happy and as pointed out some silicon on the opener rod is all it takes. One operates on AC the other is solar. Had to replace one battery after 3.5 years ($18) can't complain. TSC here wants $298 for the MM350. Lowes Website lists it for $378 and HD Website shows it at $479.

Are you talking on the outside of the arm? ( is there a way to lube the worm drive inside? or is it sealed and pre-lubed / permanently?

soundguy

/ TSC and gate openers #13  
Unclebuck257 said:
I've had MM double gate openers on two 14 foot gates at our entrance now for over 6 years. I'd suggest that if you're not going to hook the openers up to electricity that you skip the nonsense with the MM battery, that comes with your unit, and just go buy a 12 volt marine battery at Wally World and hook that up from the jump start. The MM battery isn't worth flip and won't work after a day or two of cloudy weather. I also use two solar panels, one on each side, or gate and have never had a problem with it staying charged, even after a week of cloudy weather.

Also, I've had to replace one arm already at a cost of $334.00. Otherwise, they're great to have!

I also got a HD battery.. and didn't put much faith in that anemic looking MM battery... I have 1 soalr panel.. seems to be doing fine.

Soundguy

/ TSC and gate openers #14  
I installed the Mighty Mule 350, works pretty well, and actually requires you to buy a battery for it. I purchased an inexspensive battery and put it in a marine box hooked to a single mighty mule solar panel- hasn't failed yet. The opener is slower than the 500 series and a bit fussy in our high wind area. I will probably add the automatic lock to keep it shut as the wind blows on it enough to to cause the close stop to be misadjusted from time to time.

/ TSC and gate openers #15  
I have a couple friends that went through the cheap vs expensive gate openers. Keep in mind that both of these use the gates at their main house, so it could be use 4-8 cycles a day, everyday. the cheap MM models don't last that long, the expensive ones ($1500+, commercial types) last for years and years. I think all of these were AC powered. My BIL has the MM types, he has to replace it every couple years and it's only used on the weekend, a battery model.

/ TSC and gate openers #16  
I have 2 of the MM gate openers, I used to have 350's but the last time one went bad I replaced it with a 500, so I have a 350 and a 500 now. My biggest problem with them seems to be from lightning damage. After a good storm one of them will fail, usually the electronics (control board) will be fried. Haven't had the opener (actuator) itself fail yet.

Out of curiosity has anyone tried the opener from Harbor Freight? Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I wonder if it can be used for a single opener, it is a dual.

/Todd

/ TSC and gate openers #17  
Soundguy said:
Are you talking on the outside of the arm? ( is there a way to lube the worm drive inside? or is it sealed and pre-lubed / permanently?

soundguy
The WD40 goes into the lock assembly and the silcon on the operating rod. As far as I know. the openers are sealed and I presume pre-lubed.

/ TSC and gate openers #18  
Luckilly i have atube gate so wind resistance isn't much on it.. that and the rolling guide wheel, and i am using only about 50% of the tension adjustment on the control board. it came seat at about 25%.. and would stall / reverse i fthe rolling wheel hit a pebble!

Soundguy

anojones said:
I installed the Mighty Mule 350, works pretty well, and actually requires you to buy a battery for it. I purchased an inexspensive battery and put it in a marine box hooked to a single mighty mule solar panel- hasn't failed yet. The opener is slower than the 500 series and a bit fussy in our high wind area. I will probably add the automatic lock to keep it shut as the wind blows on it enough to to cause the close stop to be misadjusted from time to time.

/ TSC and gate openers #19  
Soundguy said:

soundguy

I have had mine for about 7-8 yrs now. You can take off the outer cover and lube the gears. The screws go into rods and averything is screwed together inside. Very easy. I do not know about the newer design though. I have an overpriced solar charger and have been runnning a marine battery for at least 5 yrs now. Once a year (no direct sun during december) I take it out and charge it. Silicone lube when I remember (about 2 X yr). Need to re;oace my gate now as it is rusting and drooping. I will build my next gate.

Would I buy another MM gate opener? Yes.