TSC Premium Universal Hydro Fluid In Question?

/ TSC Premium Universal Hydro Fluid In Question? #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
I had a bug put in my ear today about Traveller Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydrauilic Fluid. I was asking about a fluid to match the LS Specs in my Owner's Manual and stopped into a place that specializes in oils and fluids. They implied that they were aware of the company that makes it being under investigations for mis-stating the specifications of it.

Anybody familiar with anything along that line?

Some members he spoke highly of it, while others complained about it, but I'm not sure if that had merits or was just a matter of preferences to brand names over store/generic products.

/ TSC Premium Universal Hydro Fluid In Question? #2  
I haven't heard any claims they misrepresented the product. I'm sure if they have then one or all of the manufacturers will be all over them.

Haven't had any trouble using it in either of my tractors. It has gone up 10 bucks a bucket in the last 3 years but it is still the lowest price oil I can find listing compatibility specs matching JD Hygard or Ford New Holland 134D. I have done complete changes on my backhoe and have mixed it with Hygard on two different John Deeres without any signs of incompatibility or issues.

/ TSC Premium Universal Hydro Fluid In Question? #3  
Are you sure they were not talking about the 303 fluid?

/ TSC Premium Universal Hydro Fluid In Question?
Dunno to be sure.

They didn't want to talk directly about competition, only inferences, which is why I'm asking here.

/ TSC Premium Universal Hydro Fluid In Question? #5  
They were probably referring to the 303 fluid, but there has been speculation that other "universal" fluids may not actually meet the approvals they claim to.

Your LS probably calls for 32/46 fluid. Why not just get one of those? I picked up a bucket of 32 at Atwoods yesterday for $26.99.

/ TSC Premium Universal Hydro Fluid In Question?
After looking at the specs in the owner's manual I showed him, one guy at our big petroleum products distribution facility called out Chevron AW48 at $38.24/5 gallons

/ TSC Premium Universal Hydro Fluid In Question? #7  
I had several buckets of TSC hydraulic fluid sitting in the barn for an excavator. JD guy came out to work on my JD and said not to use the TSC stuff in JD because, over time, it will leave deposits in the machine. He said they can tell the difference when they open up a tractor. IDK

/ TSC Premium Universal Hydro Fluid In Question? #8  
There's a bunch of info about this at pqiamerica.com
My takeaway is that some manufacturers are selling a product that meets an obsolete specification with the suggestion that it is good for current tractors. There is also the issue of what exactly the old spec called for requirement wise, as some are using additives for a current specification, but at a much lower dose and saying it is like the old 303.
For my tractor, I'm planning on using a name brand fluid that meets a current spec, AND the requirements stated in the old (1980's) owners manual. My tractor cost me enough and is enough of a pain to get some parts for that I'd have to save a awful lot of money on the fluid to make it worth the risk.

/ TSC Premium Universal Hydro Fluid In Question? #9  
There's a bunch of info about this at pqiamerica.com
My takeaway is that some manufacturers are selling a product that meets an obsolete specification with the suggestion that it is good for current tractors. There is also the issue of what exactly the old spec called for requirement wise, as some are using additives for a current specification, but at a much lower dose and saying it is like the old 303.
For my tractor, I'm planning on using a name brand fluid that meets a current spec, AND the requirements stated in the old (1980's) owners manual. My tractor cost me enough and is enough of a pain to get some parts for that I'd have to save a awful lot of money on the fluid to make it worth the risk.

Same here ^^^ I have John Deere and use HyGard despite the higher cost. Last I paid was $65 for 5 gallons.