Tub Shower On Concrete Slab

/ Tub Shower On Concrete Slab #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I'm getting ready to install a one piece domed tub/shower unit in my basement. In the upper part of the attached pic it shows the shower drain although it may have to be moved a few inches. My question is the hole should I fill in and when if I fill it in:

1. After determining the drain location
2. After installing the tub/shower
3. Leave it open with a dirt bottom
4. Line the sides and bottom with concrete to create a box, but still keeping the hole

195822d1295375263-what-caused-imag0256.jpg

ps the lower hole is already filled and concreted over.

/ Tub Shower On Concrete Slab #2  
I'd sure fill it in after getting the proper location. Fiberglass tubs have too much give and need the support. We have always mixed up a bucket of mortar and set fiberglass spa tubs on the wet mortar so it contours to the tub. Once dry it supports the bottom uniformly.

By the way, good job chipping out that concrete with that screwdriver. :thumbsup:

MarkV

/ Tub Shower On Concrete Slab
I'd sure fill it in after getting the proper location. Fiberglass tubs have too much give and need the support. We have always mixed up a bucket of mortar and set fiberglass spa tubs on the wet mortar so it contours to the tub. Once dry it supports the bottom uniformly.

By the way, good job chipping out that concrete with that screwdriver. :thumbsup:

MarkV

If any was unsupported it would be just the drain the rest will have a bed of some kind when complete.

That screw driver took out the big chunks. :p

/ Tub Shower On Concrete Slab #4  
Where does your j-trap go?

/ Tub Shower On Concrete Slab #5  
I wouldn't bury that trap in concrete. I did an install like yours a couple of years ago and left it open, but accessible from an access panel in the wall. The tub would not likely contact the slab in that location anyway, they usually have a big hard Styrofoam support in the middle, but mine was an enameled steel tub.

I wouldn't bury that trap in concrete. I did an install like yours a couple of years ago and left it open, but accessible from an access panel in the wall. The tub would not likely contact the slab in that location anyway, they usually have a big hard Styrofoam support in the middle, but mine was an enameled steel tub.

Thats kinda what I was thinking

/ Tub Shower On Concrete Slab #8  
I fill the hole with sand on the jobs I do.

Once it's in place and your drain lines are connected, mix cocrete and push it under with a board. I use a short lenght of 2x6 to force the concrete under the tub. I just keep pushing it in there until there isn't any room for any more. I use the cheap, fence post concrete.

Eddie

/ Tub Shower On Concrete Slab #9  
That screw driver took out the big chunks. :p

My old shop teacher is rolling over in his grave...i still remember "use that dam* tool the way it was designed to be used....it was invented by someone alot smarter than you'll ever be" hehe :laughing: :D . he was right too.

On my tub i left the area with the ptrap open (sand only) incase i ever had to work on it again. As for the rest of the holes, id fill them in with concrete for support. but ****...im an electrician so why listen to me HEHE.... all i know about plumbing is that SH*# flows downhill (except in the white house)

HEHE.... all i know about plumbing is that SH*# flows downhill (except in the white house)

You need to come clean my monitor I spit my coke all over when I read that. :laughing::p:confused2: