Tupelo Wood Uses?

/ Tupelo Wood Uses? #11  
I wish I'd known it was worth something. I pushed a half acre of "Sweet/Black Gum" into the burn pile. They were not straight enough to be saw logs to make pallets out of. I live about 20 miles from Tupelo, Ms so there is plenty of those junk trees around here.

/ Tupelo Wood Uses? #12  
Forgeblast,

We use quality artists oil paint, like grumbacher. As for the bottom board, you may be seeing the keel. The keel is separate. We cut the bottom inch or so off the decoy and hollow them out. Then attach the keel to the bottom board and glue back together.

I just noticed that the original poster is from SE connecticut. We don't have tupelo, at least it's not native. I wonder if he is talking about tulip poplar, aka yellow poplar, aka tulip tree? In which case he's right. It's not worth much except for pallets.

/ Tupelo Wood Uses? #14  
Bees . The best honey is tupelo honey. Tongue slap your brains out good when it sugars!!! If you like honey of course.

/ Tupelo Wood Uses? #15  
Yank, very nice work. Do you hunt over your decoys? If not do you "age" any of them? I've only hunted over a few cork decoys in my time, the rest all plastic, so real wood decoys are just fascinating to me.

/ Tupelo Wood Uses? #16  
Motorseven;

Yes they are working decoys, although I admit I don't have a full rig of these. Mostly just put them out to give me something to look at while waiting for the birds.

/ Tupelo Wood Uses? #17  
To add pasture acreage I have a hired expert clearing a few more acres. For a few of the better logs I'm saving them for flooring, doors, etc, however, I'm a bit stumped on what to do with the tupelo trees I have growing around the existing pasture. Up in these parts tupelo is not so common and thus people don't know what to do with them...no wood sawlog prices listed. Has anyone used tupelo for furniture or trim or other besides firewood? I'm thinking of having a harvest table made from one of the bigger trees but am still stumped on what to use them for.......Gary

I believe it is the same tree known as poplar in Maine. We got's lots.
It is the only wood I have worked that is subject to logitudinal shrinkage.
If you use it for finish work or furniture keep this in mind. It can make your
joinery look sloppy. It has a hardness of white/swamp maple. Some of the
original flooring in my house was poplar - some still is after 200 years.

/ Tupelo Wood Uses? #19  
Just remember up this way (north east) people will call aspens-- poplar, or popples. They are related to the cotton wood family and are a pain to sand. I am making a buddys mantle out of one. I wish i cut something else down...lol

/ Tupelo Wood Uses? #20  
Motorseven;

Yes they are working decoys, although I admit I don't have a full rig of these. Mostly just put them out to give me something to look at while waiting for the birds.

Now that is cool!....:thumbsup: