Turbo Cool-down

/ Turbo Cool-down #21  
   / Turbo Cool-down #22  
yes most operators that run heavy equipment with turbos will let them idle for 2-5 mins before turning them off to let the turbo cool. reason for this is if you shut down with out letting it cool the turbo keeps spinning with no oil at a hot temp. thats why you let it idle and keep oil flowing in the turbo so that you dont seize the turbo up. i have run excavators where guys before me would be working the exc. then just shut it off at the end of the day and go home with out letting the turbo cool first and you could hear the bearing in the turbo make a nasty nasty sound for some time before it got warmed up again but you could clearly hear the bearing was shot but the owner didnt care and sure enough the turbo seized up one day. turbos can and do get VERY hot more so then the normal exhaust. you gotta remeber your in a tractor not a car its not getting much air from any real speed to keep it cool with an intercooler most dont even have the intercooler just the motor oil to keep them cooled and keep the bearing from seizing up.

/ Turbo Cool-down #23  
WHy not just install an EGT gauge? I installed one in my Duramax powered Chevy, and I just let it idle down to 300 degrees before I shut it off. Normal driving it only takes a couple seconds after you coast into a parking lot, driveway, into garage, etc. When towing heavy and pulling hard, it obviously takes a little longer. I plan on installing both boost and EGT gauges on my L5740. Does it really need them? No, but it would take all the guess work out of how long it should idle, and they look really cool. I'm no longer running stock hp levels in the Chevy, so they were a necessity so I could keep an eye on things.

/ Turbo Cool-down #24  
WHy not just install an EGT gauge? I installed one in my Duramax powered Chevy, and I just let it idle down to 300 degrees before I shut it off. Normal driving it only takes a couple seconds after you coast into a parking lot, driveway, into garage, etc. When towing heavy and pulling hard, it obviously takes a little longer. I plan on installing both boost and EGT gauges on my L5740. Does it really need them? No, but it would take all the guess work out of how long it should idle, and they look really cool. I'm no longer running stock hp levels in the Chevy, so they were a necessity so I could keep an eye on things.

Lets us know how it goes with the egt gauge. I put a boost gauge on but was too lazy to with the egt. I am curious what temps it runs at.

/ Turbo Cool-down #25  
yes most operators that run heavy equipment with turbos will let them idle for 2-5 mins before turning them off to let the turbo cool. reason for this is if you shut down with out letting it cool the turbo keeps spinning with no oil at a hot temp. thats why you let it idle and keep oil flowing in the turbo so that you dont seize the turbo up. i have run excavators where guys before me would be working the exc. then just shut it off at the end of the day and go home with out letting the turbo cool first and you could hear the bearing in the turbo make a nasty nasty sound for some time before it got warmed up again but you could clearly hear the bearing was shot but the owner didnt care and sure enough the turbo seized up one day. turbos can and do get VERY hot more so then the normal exhaust. you gotta remeber your in a tractor not a car its not getting much air from any real speed to keep it cool with an intercooler most dont even have the intercooler just the motor oil to keep them cooled and keep the bearing from seizing up.

Listen to this advice. Synethic oil cokes less also. Normally 60 seconds is enough to idle.

/ Turbo Cool-down
Thanks fellas for taking the time to post. I took delivery of my new tractor last Wednesday (6-20) and I've been on it ever since...not really, but it seems that way :)

I've read the operator's manual from cover to cover and found my original question's answer on page 15:
"After slowing the engine to idle, wait 3 to 5 minutes for turbo to slow down, then turn the key to "off"".

So, I agree that easing back to the barn at or near idle speed "starts the timer" on the 3-5 mins, allowing the turbo to spool down.

Again, thanks fellas and happy tractoring!

-Podunkadunk

/ Turbo Cool-down #27  
I've read the operator's manual from cover to cover and found my original question's answer on page 15:
"After slowing the engine to idle, wait 3 to 5 minutes for turbo to slow down, then turn the key to "off"".

I may be wrong, but my guess is that most people are not good at measuring 1-2 minutes so they put 3-5 in the manual and hope for a real 1-2 minutes ;-)

Congratulations on your new toy....um I mean tool :)

Ken

/ Turbo Cool-down #28  
-Podunkadunk

I would have to say that is an error in the manual. It should say "cool down" instead of "slow down". The turbo will "slow down" seconds after returning to idle, you can hear that, but will not COOL down for minutes.

The technical writer for the manual is probably a woman.:laughing: Just kidding...