Buying Advice Turbo or not

/ Turbo or not #11  
They TYM has a 2.2L (133 cu in) Yanmar naturally aspirated 4 cylinder diesel. The Kioti has a 1.8L (111 cu in) Daedong turbocharged 3 cylinder

Correct. I will be using a 6' brush hog to mow about 20 acres, some loader work, eventually a grapple bucket, maintaining logging roads and driveways. Property is pretty hilly.

Have you considered the Yanmar YT347? Same 4TNV88C Yanmar engine as the TYM except it puts more power out to the PTO because it has a more efficient iHMT transmission. Lots of dealers in your area.

/ Turbo or not #12  
a turbocharger has a lag, and operates at an extremely fast RPM, and can't compete with a supercharger, much lower RPM, instant response, and much higher boost possible.. so, if the choice came down to a turbocharger or displacement, and a supercharger is ruled out, displacement is better!..

Not anymore, turbochargers technology has come a long way...

/ Turbo or not #13  
a turbocharger has a lag, and operates at an extremely fast RPM, and can't compete with a supercharger, much lower RPM, instant response, and much higher boost possible.. so, if the choice came down to a turbocharger or displacement, and a supercharger is ruled out, displacement is better!..
How do turbos operate at high rpms?? Beater diesels in trucks and semis usually red line at or lower then 3k rpm and have turbos that create power.

/ Turbo or not #14  
How do turbos operate at high rpms?? Beater diesels in trucks and semis usually red line at or lower then 3k rpm and have turbos that create power.

The motor may only be turning at 3K rpm but the turbo may be spinning at 15K rpm.

/ Turbo or not #15  
The difference might be more torque in the turbo engine, depending on the amount of boost.

I would have to see the torque curve graphs from each engine to help make a decision.

Torque is good for tractors.

/ Turbo or not #16  
Here is the torque curves for both engines.

Kioti (Daedong):

Hard to see but peaks about 150 Nm at around 1800-ish RPM

0AY4ohq.jpg

Tym (Yanmar):

iNi1oh5.jpg

/ Turbo or not #17  
Having owned multiple diesel-powered pickups through the years (all with turbos), I'd say turbo reliability is a non-issue. That's one component I never had problems with!

/ Turbo or not #18  
Having owned multiple diesel-powered pickups through the years (all with turbos), I'd say turbo reliability is a non-issue. That's one component I never had problems with!

I completely agree with this statement.
We have had many different machines with turbos, never an issue.

/ Turbo or not #19  
I change the oil more frequently in my gas turbo cars and use synthetic oil. But those engines are highly tuned- the current one makes 295hp from 2 liters. I'm not sure I'd bother on a turbo tractor.

The torque curve on the Kioti looks good. For tractor use you want a torque curve that falls off towards PTO rpm. Tractor people call it "torque rise". The reasoning is that as you're pulling or plowing or whatever, when the engine rpms are dragged down due to load the torque increases, opposing the force. It's probably less of an issue on an HST where you can lower the gear ratio just by raising your foot. But even there it would be helpful in applications such as PTO driven chippers.

/ Turbo or not #20  
I've heard that motorized washing machines have lots of problems. I'm going to go with the rock down at the creek as it's more reliable...especially at low altitudes.

You'll see more blown turbos at a superstock tractor pull than you will in a lifetime of owning a turbocharged truck, car, or farm tractor.