turbo vs non turbo - JD 3x20

/ turbo vs non turbo - JD 3x20 #31  
Jeffinsgf,

Thanks for adding some balance to the discussion!

My experience with my 3320 has been exactly as you have seen with your 4410, no power issues at all. I'm sure some folks will need the extra power of the 3520, or 3720, but most simply will not.

/ turbo vs non turbo - JD 3x20 #32  
Thanks for starting this thread Seasalt. It has elicited a lot of good discussion (and some confusing sidelines). I feel like I know a bit more about Turbos now. I didn't get the impression at all that you were saying anything bad about having a turbo tractor only that all things have tradeoffs and you named a few. I appreciate you observations. (And welcome to the tomatoes and rotten babanas side of the road)

If there are more parts, then there are more parts to break, come out of adjustment, lose seal, or fail in some other way. It's pretty simple logic really. That those parts are very unlikely to fail may be true, but the fundamental logic still applies. More parts means more parts to maintain.

As for the fuel efficiency, I admit, I don't really fully understand the engineering involved, but I do believe that it is a complicated equation and I'll leave it to experts to figure that out. I figure that my diesel is so efficient compared to gas engines, that I don't care about the turbo vs. non-turbo difference. If I was running a thousand hours a year, you bet I would care.

My tractor has all the power I need for my applications, so I have no need for the Turbo torque advantage, but again, if I was doing work right at the edge of my tractors torque curve and wanted more when I needed it, then I would sure take a look.

Thank you for your observations. Make sure you avoid those 'maters. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cliff

/ turbo vs non turbo - JD 3x20
Exceptional input by all. Very valuable for me personally as I consider a big decision.

BTW - A big thanks to ALL who have offered thoughts, from whatever prospective. Love it or hate it this thread has apparently gained traction with the membership and has garnered more views and replies than any in a month of sundays! (that cant be bad).

Thought about starting a new post to move formally into the value comparison phase. Maybe good maybe bad. Given the blood and guts of this thread trail I will try to rename the next post accurately so as to attract those who may be interested without burdening those who dont need the history. Anyone who wants to look back can find the body parts buried here.

**** the tomatoes, ONWARD (through the fog)!

Here goes nothing....(please see the next post)

/ turbo vs non turbo - JD 3x20 #35  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( GeorgeC,

a.) junk is available at all price points, so your point is of no comfort to anyone.

b.) I welcome turbocharging too - you are refusing to read what I have said (repeatedly).

c.) you think you can speak for the entire forum regarding whether or not people think about the cost benefit of turbos before buying? Hmmm.

d.) sarcasim on the out on a limb /cool down comment was also unnecessary and reduces your credibility.

e.) you can personally guarantee me my fears (???) are unfounded. Fears of what?

f.) If you feel this is a "lecture" and/or you just "dont care" (again you speak for MOST of the forum here), then kindly buzz off and let this discussion attempt to flow productively.

g.) notwithstanding the forgoing, I also invite you to offer something of real value in terms of your selection process or operating experience.

Thanks. )</font>

A. Agreed.

B. I read everything you have said.

C. I can't speak for the entire forum, and I shouldn't have said that.

D. I can be scarcastic, that's just me, so I apologize. If you feel that jeopardizes someone's credibility, then I guess my opinion does not count.

E. Fears that turbocharging will reduce your tractor's life span

F. Now who is being scarcastic and suffers from reduced credibility. It works both ways..

G. Agreed. Lets start over and both of us can cool down our opinions a bit. I personally would rather have more power than less any day of the week. I certainly don't see the 3000X20 X 50-70 series as a tractor that is turned up a whole lot.
I look at this price thing backwards.
I do see the 3320 and the 3120 as not enough HP to warrant the price difference, since the whole package can revolve around HP at some point and in my opinion, is not worth it to me. For a few bucks more, you get a lot more potential.
If the use of the tractor doesn't warrant the extra HP, then that's fine, but for my application and sense of tractor worth, I want more.
Also, IMHO, I believe resale of the turbo models will also dictate that the extra money for the turbo models will return in full.

GeorgeC

OK fair comments. Thanks. No hard feelings. Going forward how did you arrive at the selection of the 3520 vs the 3720. I am 60/40 toward moving up to a turbo model, based on what our forum has offered. That is 1500 bucks - fine. I am 40/60 on going the extra 1700 above that to get the bigger torque lift of the 3720. Can you help me with thoughts in terms of resale -one vs the other, and how the tractor(s) behave comparatively in real world settings. Anything else I have forgotten other than the standard "more is never regretted, but less is always remembered". Using that I might never stop going up!

I think I am probably looking at details in more depth than many others, but that is me. Resarch is my strong suit. Final selection is not. (As usual I can coach others more easily than myself - Maybe you can too).

Thank you.

/ turbo vs non turbo - JD 3x20 #37  
Too much power is just enough...

Seriously, intercooling a turbo diesel does wonders for performance, and longevity as it keeps intake temps nice and cool.

/ turbo vs non turbo - JD 3x20 #38  
Kennedy makes a very good point. At least go with the 3520. You just can't put a price on the beautiful sound of a turbo spooling up. Even if your just mowing lawn. I imagine the 3720 is even better right John?

/ turbo vs non turbo - JD 3x20 #39  
Now this post has taken a turn for the better... Let's get to the thought processes and reasons behind them so that others can use the insight on their next purchase or purchases! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Thanks guys. Dont forget to consider moving your thoughts to the next step post entitled JD 3x20 cost vs. benefit comparison + street prices. Now that we have some alignment, that might just turn out to be one of the most useful posts we can share thoughts on - a good mid frame machine - just updated - but with a confusing choice between stablemates as the only difference is power power and more power.