Tires Turf tires - traction?

/ Turf tires - traction? #21  
Here is pic of tractor with both blades and tires I was speaking of. Philip.

Attachments

• DSCN3254.jpg
    DSCN3254.jpg
    702.8 KB · Views: 455
  • DSCN3259.jpg
    DSCN3259.jpg
    718.1 KB · Views: 408
  • DSCN3260.jpg
    DSCN3260.jpg
    705 KB · Views: 315
   / Turf tires - traction? #22  
Here is pic of tractor with both blades and tires I was speaking of. Philip.

Your rear tires look to be the same as mine. Same tread pattern as the turfs on the B7610 that I had before but the lugs are about twice as deep. They hook up pretty well in most conditions.
I have seen photos of the galaxy turfs, looks like you could float across most anything with those but better not try pulling too much.

/ Turf tires - traction? #23  
Turfs will give pretty much the same "traction" as R1s - UNLESS/UNTIL they plug up with snow, clay, whatever.
Rubber is rubber, etc.
There are times where wider tires can "bridge" what narrow tires can fall into, which can be the first step towards a rut.

I sometimes want 3 sets, but loaded R4s can take a lot more ballast than comparable R1s, so I have "better traction" with 55 gallons per tire than 35 - until they load up (-:
I find a set of loaded R4s for Fall, Winter and Spring work out quite well, for me, for what I do, for how I do it.
The Turfs are great for the summer mowing season and I have done quite a bit of dirt work with them when it hasn't been worth swapping back to the R4s for one or two little tasks - that often turn to 6 or 7.

The other dimension of this is "Domestic Bliss", it might dominate all technical considerations.
IOW be pragmatic.

/ Turf tires - traction? #24  
The other dimension of this is "Domestic Bliss", it might dominate all technical considerations.IOW be pragmatic.

Yup.

If I cold have only one set, for me the R4's would be it, but that's for me only. Were I to add a 2305 to the inventory, it would have turf tires but that would be base on my needs alone.

/ Turf tires - traction? #25  
I have used nothing but R1's on my 1210 but it does leave some ruts when the loader is on, empty or full.

I just bought a non-running 1210 with turfs and am parting it out. I am putting the last coat of paint on the wheels tonight and have some new Carlisle turfs waiting to be installed.

The look like they will work for most everything but digging with the loader and box blade. The Carlisle rears were 10 ply tires. They have a max of 60 psi and 3300 lbs. That is more than my tractor weighs! They should have a more puncture resistant sidewall though. I will wait to see if the will do well in the snow or not.

/ Turf tires - traction? #26  
My 4010 with turfs was a beast in the snow this winter.

Ralph

/ Turf tires - traction? #27  
Beast in a tractor is good.

Ralph

/ Turf tires - traction? #28  
My 4010 with turfs was a beast in the snow this winter.

Ralph

I agree completely with my L3940 and turfs. I push snow on blacktop, and the smallest amount of ice causes problems. May not be apples to apples, but I used to move snow with Ford 8N and R1 tires, this set up was not good on black top. I added chains to the R1's and it was unstoppable, but it scrapped the heck out of the blacktop. With the L3940, I only had to put it in 4WD a few times. Philip.

/ Turf tires - traction? #29  
I have a kubota B7100 on ag tires and a grasshopper on turf tires.

The Kubota is tough on the lawn if the sod is damp. Leaving the mowing until the grass is thoroughly dry helps.

Having two sets of tires would be a royal pain. It's tolerable if you swap twice a year. But the lawn has to be mowed once a week.

I'm looking at replacing the tires on the grasshopper with industrial tires. In addition to my lawn, I mow paths in the woods. Doesn't take much to get the grasshopper stuck. Then I have to manoever the Deutz near enough to get a line to tug it out.

/ Turf tires - traction? #30  
recently put on new back wheels on the ford 555c loader/backhoe. the old wheels had 30 to 50 percent tread left. on the old tires i would easily get stuck, mud or snow or ice. with new tires. i can not even stop the thing. beyond running the tractor into a large snow pile or trying to dig dirt with front loader.

old and new tiers are both R4.

in s-10 blazer going up a long hill from pasture. old tires with little tread = me stuck 30 feet up the hill. new tires regardless of type i am able to make it up the hill.

what i am getting at is tread on any type of tire style makes a large difference.

for me i go through enough slop and mud. that turf tires would quickly plug up and leave me stuck if on a tractor. and if the ground is to wet to begin with. the weight of the 555c would sink in the mud regardless. for the old allis chalmers CA. rear tires are r1 when pulling other trucks and cars out of mud, the R1's would of be my choice. due to the tires do sink into the mud but they sink past the slop and to hard ground were it can gain traction. and regardless will make tracks / groves and tear things up. but in these situations i could care less about lawn. and more worried about getting a vehicle or what not unstuck or pulled up out of the woods.

when there were riding lawn mowers here on the farm. they all had turf tires. they would slide on hills, get stuck in softer ground. yes chains on any tire will help. but turf tires just are not it.

==================
as far as R1 or R4 tires on tractor and mowing / going over lawn. i have found it is better to take longer wider turns. and ended up mowing nearly every section of yard i mow, in long spirals and then just accept a little lawn torn up near tight areas such as very center of spiral, need for sharp turn around a tree or house corner or like.

trying to do 90 or 180 or 270 with r1 or r4 at end of each path of mowing is were a lot of the lawn gets turn up, at least with me do to how sharp i try to turn. hence the very long spiral i mow. that gets 95% of the lawn. then i make 2 to 4 passes to hit the corners that the long spiral would miss otherwise.

===================
as far as 2 sets of tires and each mounted on there own rims. i would be better off having 2 tractors one for mowing, and then another for everything else.