Turkey Frying question

/ Turkey Frying question #11  
Thats kinda funny but I have seen a few folks do some crazy things with turkey fryers. Definately dont forget to account for the turkey /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I have seen some get set up in a such a way that heat getting deflected down was melting the gas line /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif A shop broom handle works great for takeing one out. With two people you are both sufficiently far enough away if something tips or spills etc. I have found that smaller birds are much easier to work with. The up side is that if done right Fryed Turkey sure is good /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Dave

/ Turkey Frying question #12  
Yup, like prior posts, a 5' broom handle or similar, and 1 person on either side, can get the turkey (or whatever) in and out of the pot at a safe distance. We have folks burning garages routinely during the Thanksgiving holiday. WHY would someone torch off a turkey fryer indoors (a garage; yes, I know it can be raining or cold outside, so dress warmly and imbibe in a few slugs of brandy - a burning garage can really ruin an othewise fine evening)? Anyhow, if on concrete (your driveway), you're going to get some oil staining (it spatters), which is OK. Try a level lawn - no visible grease spatters, NOT indoors, and plenty of room to admire the night sky, drink beer (time for 1 beer equals a done turkey, per my calculations; now, if you're drinking while the oil heats up, and assuming the burner is pointed at the pot and not the driveway - hmm, 3 beers total - now, if you're going to cook the turkeys for a couple of neighbors before you cook yours - hmm, getting to critical level of beer for handling dangerous objects, like a large pot full of boiling oil - caution may be in order).

/ Turkey Frying question #13  
I have a turkey fryer. Bought it about 4 years ago. Used it maybe 6 times one summer and decided it's dangerous and expensive. Several friends have them. I let them go to the expense and mess when they want to throw a party and eat their turkey.

Do use it for fish fries. (A Lot Smaller operation)

We use the outfit now to blanch the many dozen ears of corn when putting up for the winter and for canning. Keeps the heat outdoors.

Try cooking your turkey this way. Get tire rim from a Semi and set it on some bricks. Throw a bag of charcoal in the rim and light it. Clean the turkey and rub it down with some spices and oil then wrap it up with 6 layers of heavy duty foil and toss it in the charcoal. (can even use a low sugar BBQ Sauce)

Here is the really tough part. Drink a beer, turn the turkey. Drink a beer, turn the turkey. Repeat as necessary until you can squeese the bird and feel it is getting a little soft. (welding gloves work well)

Open the foil and the breast bone will pull right out of a really moist bird.

Clean up is a snap.

/ Turkey Frying question #14  
Brineing a turkey in salt water for 2 hours really helps keep it moist. Dissolve 2 cups salt in yer pot and soak that bird 2 hours. pull it out, rinse well and pat dry. Let em set in the fridge a good 30 minutes to dry and soak up the water on the pan. Another thing that works well when seasoning a bird is to seperate the skin from the breast by slideing your hand between the skin and the bird. Season under and over the skin as well as inside the cavity. This helps your seasoning flavor go "through" the bird better. Dave

/ Turkey Frying question #15  
Soak a wild turkey overnite in salt water brine, with a 5th of Wild Turkey added in the brine. Yum!

Sage leaves under the skin of a roasted turkey or chicken is really good.

/ Turkey Frying question #16  
Do you pitch the brine or brew it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Dave