Turkey Vulture Pictures

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #11  
Nice photos. I like to watch them fly.

The Buzzards of Hinckley Ohio

A photo of a black vulture and turkey vulture flying together:

Vultures.jpg

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures
Many of the vultures are migratory, (in the southeast, many are here year round with northerners joining in during the winter). Maybe some of them are thinking of heading north?

You can look up at the ones that are flying and tell the black vultures from the turkey vultures. A black vulture will have a large round whitish area in the mid-wing area. The turkey vulture has all black coloring on the under wings.

These are definitely Turkey Vultures, although I do occasionally see a Black Vulture too. We see them year-round, but not in such large numbers, so I also think some of them may be migrating north. Here's another picture of one of them, only this time I cropped it for a better view of the bird.

2ypc1za.jpg

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #13  
Real nice shot Massey. I live in Medina County, Buzzard capitol of the world.

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #14  
There used to be a tree in the town of Columbia Va that they chose as a roost. They killed the tree and everything under it. Just a big dead place where nothing could grow. One of the town folks decided to scare them off just at dusk when it was to dark for them to come back. He gave up long before they did.

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #15  
Not flying, but thought I'd share...

DSC_1924.jpg DSC_1927.jpg DSC_1933.jpg

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #16  
These are definitely Turkey Vultures, although I do occasionally see a Black Vulture too. We see them year-round, but not in such large numbers, so I also think some of them may be migrating north. Here's another picture of one of them, only this time I cropped it for a better view of the bird.

2ypc1za.jpg

Nice detail. I wish I could take photos like this.

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #17  
Turkey vultures migrate for sure. We have them in summer but never in winter. I don't know how far south they go. I imagine they go far enough to get out of the snow cover. I've read they aren't good at all to eat.

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #18  
Yep, we are not allowed to "see" a turkey vulture (buzzard) until March 15 - Hinckley Buzzard Day. Avoid driving through Hinckley on that Sunday - March 17 this year.

/ Turkey Vulture Pictures #20  
The black vulture has a black head while the turkey vulture has a red head (at least that's what I've always read). The turkey also has a larger wingspan than the black. I have a dead live oak at my weekend place. There is a pair of black vultures that raises it's brood under that tree every year. They actually lay their eggs on the ground. The young chicks have white feathers (actually it's more like down till they get a couple of months old) I pretty much leave them alone, they are a part of nature after all.