Turned toolcat over...need advice!

/ Turned toolcat over...need advice! #1  

albert

Bronze Member
Tractor
Toolcat D
Slipped into a drainage ditch and rolled my 2008 Toolcat 5600 over on its right side (about a 100 degree flip) while mowing. Broke a side window but no other body damage. Started right up after the wrecker got it upright. Drove fine back up to the barn except for a whine that seemed to be coming from under the front of the machine and which disappeared after a few hours. Oil pan was down about 1 1/2 qts. with evidence of some oil leakage under the right frame and engine compartment. Not registering any service codes. Refilled the oil pan and tested everything out. Everything seems to be working fine. No current evidence of oil or other fluid leak. My questions are: Do I need to be concerned about internal damage resulting from the Toolcat laying on its side for a couple of hours? Should I get it checked out at the dealership? Anything specifically I should be looking for or check out?

Last edited:
   / Turned toolcat over...need advice! #2  
It depends on how hard she rolled, if it was an easy roll onto soft ground she's probably just fine. I would have waited to start her for an hour or two though so that all the fluids could find there place once level again but since she started and is driving and operating fine with no noises or issues, I'd say you missed a bullet and consider yourself lucky to only replace a window.

DEWFPO

/ Turned toolcat over...need advice!
I'm stupid! Simple as that.

/ Turned toolcat over...need advice! #5  
I'm stupid! Simple as that.

I'm probably overly cautious but if it was mine I'd have the dealer check it out.

And I second that it would ahve been good to let the fluid settle a little after getting it upright if it was on it's side for that long.

/ Turned toolcat over...need advice! #7  
If there was not a giant cloud of smoke when you first cranked it you should be OK. This would indicate that oil had gotten on the top side of the rings. If this happens a valve/rod can be bent due to the excessive pressure in the cylinder when trying to crank. I have rolled Jeeps over multiple times and just always allow them to sit a while to let the oil run back down.

/ Turned toolcat over...need advice! #8  
Albert,

Like others have said I would have let it sit a couple of hours so the fluids could find their way back then started it up long enough to get it on level ground to open the dump bed so I could check all the fluid levels.

I've had mine on some pretty good slopes and was never sure if I was close or still had a ways to go. Do you have a pic of the location where you rolled it? Did it start sliding first then catch on something?

The state mowed the right away in front of my house recently. For the first time one of the operators mowed the bank bordering my lawn. I would have laid out more cash than I could afford that he wouldn't be able to do it but he did. I still wouldn't do it with my JD 4010 ag tractor or the Toolcat. I have the tires as wide as they will go on the 4010 too.

dsb

/ Turned toolcat over...need advice!
Sorry, don't have any pics. Was mowing about 4' width of damp, grassy slope next to a steep drop-off into a steep drainage culvert. Had it in all-wheel drive with rear wheel turned toward culvert when the rear wheel slid off slope, into the culvert, and it rolled. Have had this problem of the Toolcat sliding sideways when in all-wheel drive on wet or even damp slopes. Am I doing something wrong? Never had this problem with my 4600 Ford tractor and bushhog. I would have thought the Toolcat would be at least as stable. Does it have something to do with the angles of the tires when in all-wheel drive?

/ Turned toolcat over...need advice! #10  
Sorry, don't have any pics. Was mowing about 4' width of damp, grassy slope next to a steep drop-off into a steep drainage culvert. Had it in all-wheel drive with rear wheel turned toward culvert when the rear wheel slid off slope, into the culvert, and it rolled. Have had this problem of the Toolcat sliding sideways when in all-wheel drive on wet or even damp slopes. Am I doing something wrong? Never had this problem with my 4600 Ford tractor and bushhog. I would have thought the Toolcat would be at least as stable. Does it have something to do with the angles of the tires when in all-wheel drive?

It most likely is due to the type of tire. Your Ford probably had R1 ag type tires. Much better traction and larger footprint. The skid steer tires of the TC are poor in mud or on slick surfaces. The traction of the tires are probably my #1 complaint about the TC.
The center of gravity is low in the TC, probably better than your prior ford 4600.