Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket?

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #11  
That's exactly where it was. I found it but now it gives me a card error.

I posted the wrong length of the bucket. It's past 2 feet it's more like 32 inches so a bit bigger than 2 feet.

I forgot to mention that the loader arms were still attached to it. So I may be able to utilize the already made loader arms on my loader. "But just shorten the width of them down a bit".

I would have kept the bucket for the loader but also noticed a bend at the bottom in the middle.

So decided to salvage it for a new bucket for the backhoe.

Chad
Amazing how that happens!:thumbsup: You find stuff the last place you used it - just remembering where that was can make the head spin.:confused2:

Your description of that loader reminds me of the ones I remember from the forty's. They had forks on the cutting edge for loading up manure piles for spreading in the fields and they were typically narrower than the tractor. How old do you think yours could be? If it can be adapted to your purpose, so much the better.:thumbsup:

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #12  
It will be alot of work but could be done, gonna be slow with a circular saw though.

I cut a bucket down with a demo saw, much easier.

JB

Using a saw like that, I caught my pants on fire.

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket?
Your description of that loader reminds me of the ones I remember from the forty's. They had forks on the cutting edge for loading up manure piles for spreading in the fields and they were typically narrower than the tractor. How old do you think yours could be? If it can be adapted to your purpose, so much the better.:thumbsup:

I'm not sure how old it is. But the loader arms have a manufacture name on an attached name plate.

I'll have to clean the name plate off and see what info I could find. It looks to be pretty old though.

I got the bucket cut down with the circular saw it didn't take all that long. It took basically the same time as it would to cut a sheet of plywood with a wood blade.

The abrasive wheel cut right through it. My cuts are a little off but it appears as if it's gonna work.

All I gotta do now is weld the two pieces together, put the mounting ears on. And I have a 16 inch bucket. I was going for 15 but an inch over ain't too bad. lol

Once I sand the rust off the bucket. I'll paint it to help protect it.

I'll even have the steel I need for the stick mount.

Chad

Well I looked at the name plate and from what I can tell it says the brand is (Pony Loader)

Still can't make out the mfg date. I still need to clean off some corrosion to hopefully get to the date.

Chad

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #15  
Using a saw like that, I caught my pants on fire.

:laughing::laughing: But I'm sure at the time it was not funny.

Anytime one's pants catch fire, it can only be funny after a complete damage assessment has been made. :)

All fun aside, I have had my clothing smolder a little from different types of cutting/ grinding operations, but never fully in flame.

JB

/ Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #16  
I'm not sure how old it is. But the loader arms have a manufacture name on an attached name plate.

I'll have to clean the name plate off and see what info I could find. It looks to be pretty old though.

I got the bucket cut down with the circular saw it didn't take all that long. It took basically the same time as it would to cut a sheet of plywood with a wood blade.

The abrasive wheel cut right through it. My cuts are a little off but it appears as if it's gonna work.

All I gotta do now is weld the two pieces together, put the mounting ears on. And I have a 16 inch bucket. I was going for 15 but an inch over ain't too bad. lol

Once I sand the rust off the bucket. I'll paint it to help protect it.

I'll even have the steel I need for the stick mount.

Chad

Sounds good, Get that camera working so we can see some pics :)

JB.

Sounds good, Get that camera working so we can see some pics :)

JB.

I got the card fixed. I had to format it. Here's some pics of the newly made bucket. Still need to add the ears to the top and then mount it and try it out.

Chad

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0001.JPG
    tn_IMG_0001.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 160
  • tn_IMG_0002.JPG
    tn_IMG_0002.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 139
  • tn_IMG_0003.JPG
    tn_IMG_0003.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 128
  • tn_IMG_0004.JPG
    tn_IMG_0004.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 125
  • tn_IMG_0005.JPG
    tn_IMG_0005.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 105
  • tn_IMG_0006.JPG
    tn_IMG_0006.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 87
  • tn_IMG_0008.JPG
    tn_IMG_0008.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 133
  • tn_IMG_0007.JPG
    tn_IMG_0007.JPG
    173.2 KB · Views: 113
   / Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #18  
I got the card fixed. I had to format it. Here's some pics of the newly made bucket. Still need to add the ears to the top and then mount it and try it out.

Chad

As long as you can get it mounted to the dipper it will work.

Only problem, with that square inside corner, sticky muck will get stuck in there. but if it's sticky enough it will get stuck in any bucket anyway.

JB.

It works like I hoped. :thumbsup: I hadn't tried it actually digging a new hole. But I tried it in the loose dirt I had already dug up.

My other bucket I couldn't even fill it with dirt. "I had cut the bucket wrong".

This one works great and the hoe lifts the full bucket load of dirt like it's nothing.

It was totally worth cutting down and transforming it. I cut the bucket using one abrasive wheel and still have almost the whole wheel left.

I saved almost $300.00 by making this bucket.

Here's some pics of it on the dipper arm. I still need to add the teeth. But otherwise I'm satisfied with it.

Chad

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0009.JPG
    tn_IMG_0009.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 156
  • tn_IMG_0010.JPG
    tn_IMG_0010.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 129
  • tn_IMG_0011.JPG
    tn_IMG_0011.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 109
  • tn_IMG_0012.JPG
    tn_IMG_0012.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
   / Turning an old loader bucket into a backhoe bucket? #20  
It works like I hoped. :thumbsup: I hadn't tried it actually digging a new hole. But I tried it in the loose dirt I had already dug up.

My other bucket I could even fill it with dirt. "I had cut the bucket wrong".

This one works great and the hoe lifts the full bucket load of dirt like it's nothing.

It was totally worth cutting down and transforming it. I cut the bucket using one abrasive wheel and still have almost the whole wheel left.

I saved almost $300.00 by making this bucket.

Here's some pics of it on the dipper arm. I still need to add the teeth. But otherwise I'm satisfied with it.

Chad
Looks to me like you're getting it all together!:thumbsup: Good stuff. The $300 you didn't have to spend doesn't hurt either.:D From the photo of the loader arms you posted I'd guess that would be newer than the ones I remembered. Not going venture a guess on it's era though!:p;)