Traction turning with brake-L3800

/ turning with brake-L3800 #21  
Thanks, I forgot that one, when I was farming, dad had us in the field just as soon as possible which sometimes meant going through some wet sections and we used the heck out of them then. Woe be it to the kid who had to get dad to come unhook the equipment and pull the tractor out of the mud. Sometimes it looked like Redneck Riverdance stabbing one brake then the other, standing up, seat flipped back as we were too light otherwise.:laughing:
Triple R sure has a way with words! :laughing:

I have found no need for turning brakes on a 4wd tractor.

Used them a lot with 2wd years ago...

/ turning with brake-L3800 #22  
Granted my old B8200HSTD was smaller, but I tried all the contortions to use the turning brakes. It was too much of a pain. I had a Farmall-A, which the turning brakes were easy to use, and I could see how they would be handy. I also drove my Dad's Ford 9N; and saw how they were handy.

Since selling the B8200, and getting the NH TC40D with HST on left, brakes on right, I have used the steering brakes. Not a lot, but they have definitely come in handy. Mostly, it has been with the loader off.

Having the older 2wd tractors around, I can definitely see where the turning brakes were almost a necessity. But, with 4wd, and good power sterring, they are less relevant. And, at least with this New Holland with SuperSteer, where the whole front axle turns, I can turn super tight. But, I have found off camber area's where I have to manuever around trees or in super tight area's where power steering alone was not enough, unless made multi point turn. The TC40 is comparable to the 40HP Kubota "L" series.

To me turning brakes are still a benefit, if they work easily. If I were to get another tractor they would not be a deal breaker, but it would definitely be nice to have them(a set that works easily).

/ turning with brake-L3800 #23  
If it is a tractor, then it should have steering brakes. Many times you need them to keep your tractor moving in a straight line when using the FEL to grade and the wheels off the ground or not enough pressure to hold a straight line or when you need to boost it around tighter than the wheels will turn to avoid a tree. Get your tractor on a muddy slope wheels sliding sideways and heading for the creek or pond without steering brakes to push you around and then tell me they arent needed.
Heck even my JD 332 lawn tractor has steering brakes. It isnt that difficult to put an extra pedal on a tractor when you have brakes on both wheels anyway.