TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs?

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #21  
Briggs has only one engine I would even remotely consider, that is the Vanguard which is their top of the line engine. (I just learned on the CC forum here at TBN it is made for Briggs by Diahatsu.) The I/C and Intek are virtually identical engines, and Kohler created their cheaper Courage lineup to use on entry level machines much in the same way Briggs does with the Inteks. None of the under $2000 machines will get a decent Kohler Command any longer. Most of the top end over $2k tractors will likely get Kohler Command, Briggs Vanguard, Kawasaki, or Honda power.

The average lifespan of the small lawn tractors is around 400-500 hours, so tractor makers wanted more economy minded engines for those smaller models to keep the costs down, hense the Kohler Courage and Briggs Intek 750 hour engines. Command, Vanguard, Honda and Kawi are rated for 2000 hours, and are more expensive to manufacture.

-Fordlords-

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #22  
Briggs has only one engine I would even remotely consider, that is the Vanguard which is their top of the line engine. (I just learned on the CC forum here at TBN it is made for Briggs by Diahatsu.) The I/C and Intek are virtually identical engines, and Kohler created their cheaper Courage lineup to use on entry level machines much in the same way Briggs does with the Inteks. None of the under $2000 machines will get a decent Kohler Command any longer. Most of the top end over $2k tractors will likely get Kohler Command, Briggs Vanguard, Kawasaki, or Honda power.

The average lifespan of the small lawn tractors is around 400-500 hours, so tractor makers wanted more economy minded engines for those smaller models to keep the costs down, hense the Kohler Courage and Briggs Intek 750 hour engines. Command, Vanguard, Honda and Kawi are rated for 2000 hours, and are more expensive to manufacture.

-Fordlords-

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #23  
My 25 hp Kohler Command 2 cyl. is certainly no fuel miser, I'd guess about 1.25 - 1.5 GPH. However, it's very smooth and I've yet to hear it whimper under the load of a 48" deck with 20 degree inclines.

It's predesesor, an 18 hp IC Gold 2 cyl. with a 42" deck was probably about a 1 GPH.

I'd expect a single cylinder would be a little more economical to operate but have no data to support that.

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #24  
My 25 hp Kohler Command 2 cyl. is certainly no fuel miser, I'd guess about 1.25 - 1.5 GPH. However, it's very smooth and I've yet to hear it whimper under the load of a 48" deck with 20 degree inclines.

It's predesesor, an 18 hp IC Gold 2 cyl. with a 42" deck was probably about a 1 GPH.

I'd expect a single cylinder would be a little more economical to operate but have no data to support that.

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #25  
The Kohler commands also have a pressure lubrication system to allow sustained operation at the incline you mention, whereas, I believe most of the Briggs only have splash lubrication systems

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #26  
The Kohler commands also have a pressure lubrication system to allow sustained operation at the incline you mention, whereas, I believe most of the Briggs only have splash lubrication systems

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #27  
and the splash on hills won't work. Trust me...I fried the B&S that was in my yardman doing my ditch! Makes a heck of a lot of noise and smoke when they blow up. I put the Kohler command from my Craftsman on there and it's pressure lubricated and I don't have any issues on inclines now!

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs? #28  
and the splash on hills won't work. Trust me...I fried the B&S that was in my yardman doing my ditch! Makes a heck of a lot of noise and smoke when they blow up. I put the Kohler command from my Craftsman on there and it's pressure lubricated and I don't have any issues on inclines now!

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs?
actually the Briggs Intek V-Twin and the Intek Gold Single both have full pressure lubrication.

/ TWIN or SINGLE cylinder better? Kohler or Briggs?
actually the Briggs Intek V-Twin and the Intek Gold Single both have full pressure lubrication.