twisting off grade 8 bolts

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #31  
you can hit standard SAE torque chatrs and see that the 160+ # number he is using is over rated for that size fastener.. reguardless of what the bx manual says. the strength of the fastener at that diameter is simply not present..

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #32  
Soundguy said:
you can hit standard SAE torque chatrs and see that the 160+ # number he is using is over rated for that size fastener.. reguardless of what the bx manual says. the strength of the fastener at that diameter is simply not present..

That was why I did the "manuals" search to see how it was presented. At least for the BX62 it is presented as a standard chart not a specific value for that bolt application. Thus my 115 ft lbs for 1/2" and 165 for 9/16".The bx62 IPL was the only reference to the 1/2"NF bolt but no torque value just the generic chart. But that was the BX62 not 60.

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #33  
i have a ford mower manual that also just provides a bolt torque chart giving sae values in the back.. not specific bolts.. etc.

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #34  
Chief, could you have possibly skipped down a line? Take a look at the posted charts, see the torque value for a 9/16 NF grade 8? Looks kinda suspicious to me... Steve

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #35  
Chief, could you have possibly skipped down a line? Take a look at the posted charts, see the torque value for a 9/16 NF grade 8? Looks kinda suspicious to me... Steve

That is what I am thinking also after looking at the chart. His finger didn't move straight across, it skipped down a line.

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #36  
Maybe it's the dreaded.......crooked eyes syndrome:)

I suffer from that, as well as CRS(can't remember sh*t):laughing:

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #37  
yep.. I'm thinking he's looking at wrong fastener size too!

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #38  
Whenever I go into TSC, which is a bit of a drive for me, I always stock up on their Grade 5 and 8 bolts/nuts, etc. Seems about half the price as other places, but the hardware looks really nice. Never knew some of this was not kosher. Nor did I know not to reuse a heavily tightened bolt. Learned something very helpful here. I guess I'd better use my nice torque wrench more often that gathers dust in the tool box...
It seems most dealers use air wrenches and just let them run. Ever try to get a blade bolt off after a dealer put it on? My Dewalt electric impact gun is rated for 350 pounds, and sometimes I'm not sure the bolt will come off. Utterly impossible to do by hand. Of course, on the flip side, I recently got my Case IH back from the dealer who did some steering work and had to remove the tires, and two of the four left front wheel nuts went MIA. Glad I saw that in time. I put the new ones on, and yes, the dealer was quite happy to give me a couple of free nuts. And the mechanic I'm sure got a serious chewing out.

I may buy the occasional special from Harbor Freight, but sure never buy bolts and nuts there. Not exactly the right place to buy "mission critical" parts, and I can't imagine too many parts being more quality important than a chipper blade bolt.

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #39  
yes.. some places are bad about using impacts and no TW's

as for the 350# electric.. i'm not surprised it has a hard time taking anything off. nothing personal.. it's just a bit anemic for tractor work IMHO.

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #40  
yes.. some places are bad about using impacts and no TW's

as for the 350# electric.. i'm not surprised it has a hard time taking anything off. nothing personal.. it's just a bit anemic for tractor work IMHO.

Our 450 FP Ridgid sometimes needs some help from PB Blaster I know. :)

R6300 HD Impact Wrench - RIDGID Professional Tools

We carry it in the MH to remove/reinstall wheels is the reason we went electric. The nuts only torque at 175 FP on our P30 chassis.