Two speed Electric motor question

/ Two speed Electric motor question
Industrial Toys, Thanks again for the attention.

I will be heading to town in the next 2-3 days and will take it in. Best to have them confirm if it is the motor. And, truth be told, it could be that whatever the initial problem was (no low speed) was somehow caused by me but if so, I am not certain just how I would have done that as that was the initial issue and remains the issue - except that now the high speed button on the timer does not work either.

I will post an update once I take it in. If it was just the motor, likely the pool shop could provide a replacement (used or new) at a reasonable cost - but if it is both, the two speed timers are expensive and so a new combination pump timer unit may be the best option and if it lasts a few years, it will be worth it - grand kids gotta swim.

Or, I suppose I could just get a single speed timer and run it only on high for a few hours a day.

Thanks again to everyone.

/ Two speed Electric motor question #42  
Depending on how nice these people are. Why don't you take the control with you?

/ Two speed Electric motor question #43  
Do you really need 2 speed, a one speed high efficiency motors cost a lot less, in fact why not run on high until dies, just adjust run time. I know they made you buy a two speed, but no inspection for repairs

/ Two speed Electric motor question #44  
I don't think so, there is not two separate start windings for low and high, the best way to test is bring two hot lines from a breaker and wire up and test. Or get in the control box and install some jumpers.
then explain why the start windings are not working on low speed!.. because they aren't working on low speed!..

/ Two speed Electric motor question #45  
Maybe someone could say how the start winding/circuit works on a two speed motor. On a single speed motor, isn't the winding and capacitor switched by a centrifugal switch just wired to the main supply? So how does that work with two speeds?

/ Two speed Electric motor question #46  
   / Two speed Electric motor question #47  
Interesting. So there isn't always a centrifugal switch?

Almost makes me think then, that it could be a failing start cap. But the motor shop tested it. Have them check the value of it specifically.

/ Two speed Electric motor question #48  
Centrifugal switch cuts out a starting capacitor (AC motors only) which would be there to offset input power briefly to get the motor spinning.

As for starting torque. If a cap is there and mostly roasted the motor may run no-load but won't start with a normal load.

What IT says, when you have two confusing things not working together you can beat yourself up trying to determine which one causes the issue.

Yes, I'd take the switch to town in hopes that a shop that can test the motor could test it too. Take all your info with you when you go. :2cents:

/ Two speed Electric motor question #49  
Nothing made sense up to now. If I was a betting man, I might put my money on an out of spec cap. I have a ten dollar cap checker, but that doesn't help the op. Good thing to have around for what it costs. Mostly ever just told me that a cap wasn't the problem. But that can be just as valuable.

/ Two speed Electric motor question
Do you really need 2 speed, a one speed high efficiency motors cost a lot less, in fact why not run on high until dies, just adjust run time. I know they made you buy a two speed, but no inspection for repairs

That is precisely what I am thinking. I recall when the two speed motor was put in the tech said that on high speed my Polaris pressure side pool cleaner would run and on low speed it would not which he said was the intention of it all. But I am thinking I can get a simple timer for one speed and just set that to run the pump on high for the recommended hours per day. After all, that was the way I did it for years until they had to replace the old pump and put in a two speed unit. I can get an electro mechanical timer for about $50 and be done with it.

I will still take the pump in, and may also try to take the timer.