Comparison TYM versus Kioti versus other compact tractors

/ TYM versus Kioti versus other compact tractors #11  
Mahindra does about 80,000 and they still remain virtually unknown
Bad example -- I think on a global basis, a lot more people know about Mahindra than a lot of other brands:eek:

/ TYM versus Kioti versus other compact tractors
Thanks for the advice guys. I am having the Kioti bought out to our small farm to test drive next week. However, after reading more and thinking about it, I have a feeling I should try and go for bigger hp (more around the 40 hp mark). If this is so I can't afford a new tractor that size so am scanning the second-hand tractors. There is very little around at the moment. My other concern buying second hand is I am not the most mechanically minded. I know the basics but can get baffled on bigger projects. Whereas buying new with a good dealer to service the machine and warranty feels safer. We have a field day close by next month with a number of tractor sellers so I will be attending. I know I will be excited by the new tractors and they usually have specials on the day if you purchase on the day. Decisions, decisions. This is quite a different purchase to regular vehicles such as cars as there are many other factors to consider.

/ TYM versus Kioti versus other compact tractors #13  
I've owned a small (20hp) and a larger (40hp) Kioti. Don't have experience with the TYMs but agree they are well regarded.

My points would be to echo Charlesaf3 with respect to the 4n1 bucket. Those buckets are heavy and you really need a pretty good sized loader (2000lb lift capacity and up) to make the most use of them. I'd also say that while I have such a 4n1 loader and find it useful, it would not be my first choice of implement to add after getting a standard bucket. If you have lots of woods to deal with then a grapple or grapple bucket would be more useful (and usually lighter and less expensive). A 4n1 would be a good choice for a construction bucket but not so great for land clearing. The "upside down" clamping with a 4n1 bucket is VERY inefficient compared to either type of grapple when picking up brush or wood.

With regard to the question of tractor size, it really depends on how much time you have. If this is a retirement or hobby farm project then there is not such a concern to get the most time efficient tractor. If it is commercial then obviously a larger tractor could be justified. I would not worry about being able to do the types of tasks you are likely to encounter with a 30hp tractor. The trouble with going above that is that the tractor frame size increases (as does price) and if you are working in an orchard the tractor size can be a limitation. I loved my 20hp tractor and it did just about everything I needed it to. When I took on responsibility for more land I upgraded to the 40hp and it is indeed much faster and more powerful but I lost the ability to do some simple tasks (like mow around the house) that I was able to do with the smaller machine.

Another question. I found a guy here in Australia selling new Agracats. I have been reading the discussion threads here and it appears that the company went bust. Does anyone know if they have they restarted again or moved ownership? Are they any good? It appears you get a lot for your money, but is it going to be a case of paying peanuts and getting a monkey? I am speaking to the dealer again this afternoon for more details.

/ TYM versus Kioti versus other compact tractors #15  
I think the current Agracats (and maybe some of the old ones as well) are Jinma tractors.

/ TYM versus Kioti versus other compact tractors #16  
It doesn't seem, from all I've read etc., that a Jinma is the ideal tractor for the non-mechanical minded. If you read on here you can form your own conclusions.

Found out more info. It is actually a Foton tractor. Either the FT304 or FT454.
FT304 comes with FEL, 6 ft slasher, 30 hp, 3 cyl. chinese copy of perkins motor.
FT454 comes with 4-in-1 FEL, 2 speed pto, slahser, Ricardo 4 cyl. engine, cabin.
Reviews on thiw website say it is a pretty good machine.

/ TYM versus Kioti versus other compact tractors #18  
Found out more info. It is actually a Foton tractor. Either the FT304 or FT454.
FT304 comes with FEL, 6 ft slasher, 30 hp, 3 cyl. chinese copy of perkins motor.
FT454 comes with 4-in-1 FEL, 2 speed pto, slahser, Ricardo 4 cyl. engine, cabin.
Reviews on thiw website say it is a pretty good machine.

In general, the Chinese tractors (and companies selling them) are not yet up to the quality of the Japanese, Korean and Indian manufacturers. I'm sure they will get there someday but there is a considerable quality and feature gap today. Obviously the Chinese tractors are capable and good values though. In the US another issue for the Chinese tractors has been relatively poor dealer support/parts etc. Not across the board but enough to make it a weak point compared to the others.

/ TYM versus Kioti versus other compact tractors #19  
Another question. I found a guy here in Australia selling new Agracats. I have been reading the discussion threads here and it appears that the company went bust. Does anyone know if they have they restarted again or moved ownership? Are they any good? It appears you get a lot for your money, but is it going to be a case of paying peanuts and getting a monkey? I am speaking to the dealer again this afternoon for more details.

Think you will find the name of the company in Australia is Agricat. The sell rebadged Foton tractors at great prices

/ TYM versus Kioti versus other compact tractors #20  
If you can find someone selling one of the re-badged LS/LG tractors, you can probably get a really great tractor for a lot less than the other guys. We bought a 43hp (4340C) 2008 Montana tractor in December of '08 and absolutely love it. Lots of tractor for the money. (Montana was made by LG through 09 but will be made by Kukje, another Korean company that previously sold in the US under the name Branson, for 2010)