Type A automobile transmission fluid

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid #11  
Volfandt said:
Thanks DP.
Oddly enough, I've heard of some useing std 10w30 motor oil in these old HST's but I don't know what kind of longevity they're getting out of it and/or if it's bad for them in the long run.
Some of the newer HST's, such as some Tuff Torx models, do call for std 10w30 motor oil which I find surprising.
I would think that transmission fluid would be better and thats what I intend to use but the curious side of me wonders why newer HST's use motor oil.

ZF trannies were designed to run with Dexron but ZF allowed the use of 15W40 as an alternative.

I've seen mixed fleets that used one oil in all the holes, with no long term effects.

lots of diesel engine oils diesel engine oils carry a C4 rating, which I've been led to assume will work in wet clutch applications or torque converters.

Also seen hydraulic systems on transit vehicles that spec'ed 1ow30, so your not too far outta line.

/ Type A automobile transmission fluid #12  
We have plenty of ( 70's, 80's ) caterpillar heavy equipment that specs 30w engine oil in the HYDS and 40w engine oil in the ( torque converter ) tranny.

The only place I'd be leary of using it was on a final drive / rear end, or a manual tranny.. possibly..

Soundguy