type lubricant for final drive?

/ type lubricant for final drive? #1  

newdozerguy

Hey guys,

After cracking the inspection cover for my final drive on my John Deere 450 dozer, I've replaced the cover, but I'm wondering what type and how much oil to put back in. Is it just gear oil?

Thanks,
Stephen

/ type lubricant for final drive? #2  
You might want to go over to the YTMAG discussion forums and ask this question in the crawler board. It seems that most questions there are JD350/450 related and there are several JD experts over there who can help you.

YTMAG discussion forums

/ type lubricant for final drive? #3  
I use 140 wt gear oil in my rear sprocket. There are fill holes and level holes, just like on a manual transmission or rear axle. You open both and fill until oil comes out the lower one.

I have hydrostatic drive, not gears, so that might not be relevant.

Eddie

/ type lubricant for final drive? #4  
I have a friend who has a JD450 and if memory hasn't faded to much his old service manual called for 303 hydro fluid in finals. 303 is no longer the current fluid for JD's and it is now called John Deere Hyguard. I remember selling him some Hyguard spec fluid when he rebuilt his crawler a couple of years ago. Don't skimp on the fluid and buy the cheapest thing you find as the gears in the final are placed under alot of stress and need a good lubricant to ensure long life. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

My friend filled his with TRC's UFT Red. He chose the UTF Red because it is a higher viscosity fluid being equivelent to a 10W/30 fluid. Regular UTF runs about 10W/20. The higher viscosity UTF Red has a tackifier additive added to it to make it stick to gears better which provides better lubrication and does not get slung off like regular UTF. Texas Refinery Corp. Specialty Lubricants and Greases

/ type lubricant for final drive? #5  
My case 310F final drives take 75w-90w. As DP stated, the final drive gears, and all gears for that matter take extreme stress under load. I would read the YTmag board also and be absolutly sure of which fluid to use. The 90w gear lubes have the extreme pressure additive in them.

/ type lubricant for final drive? #6  
On my previous crawler, an IH500c from 1972, I drained and refilled the finals with 90wt gear oil per the owner's manual. The oil needs to be able to make it all the way up the big bull gears to the little pinion so I can't imagine using a thin oil like hyguard. JD does some funny things though, ha!