Tz18da hydro concern

/ Tz18da hydro concern #1  

ryetarded

Tractor
tz18da 110fel 54mmm log spliter 48" box scraper 13 hp external mosquito sprayer
I have had my tractor since 170 hrs and love it (250 on it now). I bought a log spliter to run off my hydro lines for the fel . it has a 36" ram with a 2.5 inch bore . it splits the small stuff but cant quite get any of the large ash split. the wood is 2 years old and realitivly dry . it bites into the wood about 1/4 to 1/2 inch but can't pop it . i had a local hydro shop come down and check my pressures at the ram and they read 1700 kpa under load . reading my owners manual it states it should read around 1880 kpa give or take a little . the problem is this difference would short me about 1000 kpa of force onto the spliter head which would problley make my log splitter sing like a georgian chore !!! :licking: so naturally like a good tractor owner we tryed to adjust the pressure relief valve in the control but there doesnt seem to be one . it must be on the tranny by the output lines .. this would make sense because it would protect the power steering and other hydro lines . any ways to get more pressure out or tricks to log spliters would be great i could up load pics tommorow if it would help .!!

/ Tz18da hydro concern #2  
My only input as far as the pressure is concerned is to say you should rev the engine to 2500 rpm to measure pressure. Other than that, here is some help locating your pressure relief valve.

The first diagram is a locator. Item 73 is the control, circled in red. The 2nd diagram is the control with the relief valve shown circled in red. The third diagram is the relief valve with item 5 being the shims that control relief pressure. You can order a shim kit from your New Holland dealer to adjust the pressure carefully to make it in spec.

Attachments

• Slide1.JPG
    Slide1.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 231
  • Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 169
   / Tz18da hydro concern #3  
I have had my tractor since 170 hrs and love it (250 on it now). I bought a log spliter to run off my hydro lines for the fel . it has a 36" ram with a 2.5 inch bore . it splits the small stuff but cant quite get any of the large ash split. the wood is 2 years old and realitivly dry . it bites into the wood about 1/4 to 1/2 inch but can't pop it . i had a local hydro shop come down and check my pressures at the ram and they read 1700 kpa under load . reading my owners manual it states it should read around 1880 kpa give or take a little . the problem is this difference would short me about 1000 kpa of force onto the spliter head which would problley make my log splitter sing like a georgian chore !!! :licking: so naturally like a good tractor owner we tryed to adjust the pressure relief valve in the control but there doesnt seem to be one . it must be on the tranny by the output lines .. this would make sense because it would protect the power steering and other hydro lines . any ways to get more pressure out or tricks to log spliters would be great i could up load pics tommorow if it would help .!!

Forgive my ignorance but when you say the hydro shop "checked my pressure at the ram...and it was 1700 kpa under load." Are you saying that they tied into your hydraulic system and measured its pressure? I am not used to dealing in terms of kpa (but assume this is kilopascals) and if so, 1700 only equals about 246 psi which on a 2 1/2" bore cylinder would only produce about 1200 lbs of pushing force...which would explain a 1/4"-1/2" penetration in the wood you're trying to split. Am I missing something in the conversion or meaning of kpa or how they measured your pressure? Most tractor's hydraulic systems operate between 1800-2000+ psi (1800psi=12410 kpa if my math is correct.....and God knows it probably isn't). I'm probably missing something but it sounds like your hydraulic pressure is about 1600psi too low.

If you meant 1700psi...that's still only about 4 tons of push......pretty mild for a log slitter. Around here, most people are using 20 ton or larger units to split hard woods. You can get by with less but you know what they say...."size does matter".

/ Tz18da hydro concern
sorry work with kpa at work it was measured in psi and it read 1700psi . thanks for the diagram they should help