TZ22DA NEW HOLLAND RUNNING COLDER, BUT RUNS GREAT..IS IT NORMAL?

/ TZ22DA NEW HOLLAND RUNNING COLDER, BUT RUNS GREAT..IS IT NORMAL? #1  

grtractor

Tractor
New Holland TZ22DA
I have a tz22da New Holland loader tractor, that I use in my yard for projects occasionally. Usually run for only 45-60 minutes, but really don't notice the temperature gauge hardly move. I know the temperature gauge must be working as when I start it moves to the on position, but maybe only moves about .125 of an inch, is this normal? I purchased the tractor used and I'm newer to diesels? I suppose it's better than running hot?

Any thoughts, Thanks!

Last edited:
   / TZ22DA NEW HOLLAND RUNNING COLDER, BUT RUNS GREAT..IS IT NORMAL? #2  
Running an engine cold is not a good thing. I'd try plug in a different guage or use some other method to confirm that it is running at a normal temp.
Last time I ran into a cold running engine, the previous owner had removed the thermostat, due to an overheating problem.

/ TZ22DA NEW HOLLAND RUNNING COLDER, BUT RUNS GREAT..IS IT NORMAL? #3  
Keep in mind that diesels are very different from gasoline engines when it comes to how they produce heat. At idle, or low power settings, they produce very little heat, and won't show much of a change in coolant temperature. Part of that is the way they produce heat, and part of it is that the cooling system is designed around removing heat from the engine when it's making rated PTO power for hours on end, on a hot day. So, at low power settings the cooling system can remove all the heat produced, and the needle barely moves.

You could actually start your tractor and let it idle for a couple of hours and never see much change looking at the temperature gauge. It sounds like you're not working it hard doing the loader work in your yard, so it's likely everything is okay. If you hooked up an implement, and ran the engine at PTO speed for half an hour, I'm betting you'd see the needle rise more than it does now.

If the engine is running smoothly, and there are no signs of smoke, I wouldn't be too worried. As an experiment, you could try running it at high idle (check the manual, but it's probably near full throttle) for something like ten minutes and see if the needle moves (although even high idle doesn't create much heat in diesels)....won't hurt to check.

/ TZ22DA NEW HOLLAND RUNNING COLDER, BUT RUNS GREAT..IS IT NORMAL? #4  
As GmanBart stated. My BX will move to the 1/4 dial position when operating the FEL or pulling a tank sprayer since the engine is not working very hard. However with the mower deck running the needle will move to just below 1/2 which is normal for full load work.

/ TZ22DA NEW HOLLAND RUNNING COLDER, BUT RUNS GREAT..IS IT NORMAL? #5  
Running an engine cold is not a good thing. I'd try plug in a different guage or use some other method to confirm that it is running at a normal temp.
Last time I ran into a cold running engine, the previous owner had removed the thermostat, due to an overheating problem.
How hard are you working the engine?
Unlike a spark ignition engine where the fuel:air ratio is relatively constant and power is controlled by airflow regulation( peak temperatures in the combustion chambers are relatively constant at all throttle positions) , the diesel engine does not throttle airflow but rather varied fuel flow qand has widely varying fuel:air ratio. So low power means low fuel flow at any given rpm. It also means low peak gas temperature in the cylinders at low fuel:air ratios. That means it will take longer to warm up at a low idle speed than a high idle speed or at high power output. It also means that if you aren't working the machine hard and it will take longer to warm up and thus the coolant temperature tends to stay low. If you consistently run at low power out put you may see what is called "wet stacking" i.e. a black oily substance coming out of the exhaust pipe.
In your case, if you are not working the tractor hard, that could be the issue but your tractor should eventually warm up, it will just take a long time, relatively speaking. It's also possible that your thermostat is stuck open and you are overcooling relative to the amount of work you are doing. Check for proper thermostat operation by removing the radiator cap. Start the cold engine, and look into the filler neck. You should see hardly any coolant flowing on a cold engine. If you see a lot of flow entering the radiator top, the thermostat is open or not installed). If you see no flow, continue warming the engine a look to see if eventually the thermostat opens. When it does , have a candy or meat thermometer (or an infra-red thermometer)on hand and measure the coolant tempearture (infra-red, the metal temperature at the upper hose connection of the radiator). These temps should be close to your spec values. If they are then you most likely have a faulty sensor. If they are not, you have a failed thermostat or an incorrect thermostat. proper coolant temperatures are import because it optimizse clearances in the engine and make it work as designed.

/ TZ22DA NEW HOLLAND RUNNING COLDER, BUT RUNS GREAT..IS IT NORMAL?
Thanks Everyone for your Help! I'm going to be working on some projects with my tractor over Christmas Vacation. I'll be working it a little harder, I'll try some of your recommendations and let you know how it goes. Thanks Again!

Last edited:
   / TZ22DA NEW HOLLAND RUNNING COLDER, BUT RUNS GREAT..IS IT NORMAL? #7  
If you continue to not work your diesel tractor hard you can develop a condition called "diesel slobber."
Google that term to learn more.
Dave M7040

/ TZ22DA NEW HOLLAND RUNNING COLDER, BUT RUNS GREAT..IS IT NORMAL? #8  
I throw a piece of cardboard over the rad (in front) in the winter time, you see allot of diesels do this to bring the temp up and to get some heat in the cab. Just a thought.