UHMW Bucket Cutting Edge

/ UHMW Bucket Cutting Edge
If that’s the goal the ideas should pour in......most will be well under $500!!!!
Guys have used rubber horse mats etc to do the job.

I’m sure if you were doing hundreds of miles a year plowing a nice edge would be great. But just for personal use the ideas folks have come up with here will work for many years to come.

If you use a horse mat on the bucket, do you wrap the mat over the leading edge of the bucket (C shaped) so you can bolt thru it top & bottom with 1 common bolt per connection?

/ UHMW Bucket Cutting Edge #12  
Planning on installing an Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Poly bar cutting / wearing edge under the leading edge of a snow bucket.

The dealer wants ~ $500 and I think I can do it for a fraction of the price with a piece 3/4" x 5" bolted to the bucket.

Anybody else do something like this with advice on minimum thickness and width?

TIA

Yooper Dave

I purchased my UHMW cutting edge from UHMW and HMW Plastic Dump Truck Box Liners - Super-Slide. They have a "clearance" section where you can purchase left over scrap material at a discount price. Stuff is not cheap but there is definitely no damage to the blacktop driveways that I plow in the neighborhood. I was able to purchase 1/2" material and attached 3 pieces together to get me an inch and half thickness. Having plowed twice it's wearing down slightly at the corners but should last me for some time. I previously used a 1 1/2" rubber cutting edge I got from a county snowplow scrap area a friend got for me. That was super tough material but it didn't scrape down as good as the UHMW does. I'm guessing steel would be the best but then that would mark up the driveway. When I get the chance I may add additional UHMW on the corners to beef it up.

/ UHMW Bucket Cutting Edge #13  
If you use a horse mat on the bucket, do you wrap the mat over the leading edge of the bucket (C shaped) so you can bolt thru it top & bottom with 1 common bolt per connection?

I have no clue on that one. Typically folks use the rubber on a blade and sandwich the rubber. If it’s a bucket, typically I’ve seen folks use a pipe with a split- the sandwich technique won’t do much good with that.

How about 4-8 3”x3” (or so) wear plates that were under the bucket blade? They could be made of a good composite- but at that size they would be easy to find, ship, mill and replace as needed.

/ UHMW Bucket Cutting Edge #14  
Try looking for some 1/2" thick Seaboard scrap.

All the best,
Hein

/ UHMW Bucket Cutting Edge #15  
I bought a piece of UHMW from Mcmaster years ago for a bucket cutting edge. My B3030 has a 54" ATI QA bucket with a reversible/removable steel cutting edge. The UHMW is at least 6" wide and 5/8" or 3/4" thick (I can't remember exactly), same as the bolt-on cutting edge. I used the steel cutting edge as a pattern to drill the mounting holes and beveled the edge with a table saw. I thought it might break off or crack but it has held up to some serious abuse over the years. The driveway is 350' of concrete, double wide near the house with a turn around area. I put the same material (smaller cross section, like 3"x1/2") on a 6' rear blade at the same time. Both these cutting edges are nowhere near in need of replacement and there is exactly zero damage to the driveway surface.

I purchased my UHMW cutting edge from UHMW and HMW Plastic Dump Truck Box Liners - Super-Slide. They have a "clearance" section where you can purchase left over scrap material at a discount price. Stuff is not cheap but there is definitely no damage to the blacktop driveways that I plow in the neighborhood. I was able to purchase 1/2" material and attached 3 pieces together to get me an inch and half thickness. Having plowed twice it's wearing down slightly at the corners but should last me for some time. I previously used a 1 1/2" rubber cutting edge I got from a county snowplow scrap area a friend got for me. That was super tough material but it didn't scrape down as good as the UHMW does. I'm guessing steel would be the best but then that would mark up the driveway. When I get the chance I may add additional UHMW on the corners to beef it up.

Found a nice scrap piece of HDPE for $50. They then want $100 to ship so $150 total.

/ UHMW Bucket Cutting Edge #17  
Dave, Please post photos when you get it and cut it. Of course the same, when you mount it. Poly in whatever form is so, so useful! Over the years, I've gained a personally supply and respect for this wonderful material.

Found a nice scrap piece of HDPE for $50. They then want $100 to ship so $150 total.

/ UHMW Bucket Cutting Edge #18  
I have a chunk of UHMW. It's as stiff as steel. I thought it might mark concrete, like steel. Good to hear it doesn't.

Dave, Please post photos when you get it and cut it. Of course the same, when you mount it. Poly in whatever form is so, so useful! Over the years, I've gained a personally supply and respect for this wonderful material.

Did not pull the trigger just yet. Trying to show shipping is twice the price of the material which did not sit well with me. Did not know that shipping was going to be the biggest challenge to overcome. They use HDPE for manure spreaders around here... Trying to find something similar around here that I can pick up.

I have a chunk of UHMW. It's as stiff as steel. I thought it might mark concrete, like steel. Good to hear it doesn't.

Bought 2 nice pieces of scrap white UHMW from a local Company. The pieces are 1.5" x 5.5" x 46" and 1.5" x 5" x 36".
My snow bucket is a 60". The young guy in the receiving area was more than helpful finding what I wanted. They save ALL cut offs and have rack after rack of stuff. I handed him a $50 bill and asked if that was enough. He seemed more than happy and off I went - after 5 minutes. No paperwork no red tape. I get the feeling I gave him a $50 tip.

I will wait to machine it until the snow bucket arrives. It is a Berlon made in Wisconsin with the SSQA connection for my new tractor BART - big *** residential tractor.

Yooper Dave