Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #1  

CarlGlas

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 MF GC2300
While getting fuel at a local Valero Corner Store I noticed a Warning decal posted on the diesel fuel pump that stated "This fuel may damage 2007 and later year model engines."

I presume this warning is regarding the decrease or loss in lubricity, and am wondering if fuel distributors will start using a lubricity improver or will we have to start providing our own.

Looks like a good time to buy some stock in
Power Service.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning
While getting fuel at a local Valero Corner Store I noticed a Warning decal posted on the diesel fuel pump that stated "This fuel may damage 2007 and later year model engines."

I presume this warning is regarding the decrease or loss in lubricity, and am wondering if fuel distributors will start using a lubricity improver or will we have to start providing our own.

Power Service.

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( While getting fuel at a local Valero Corner Store I noticed a Warning decal posted on the diesel fuel pump that stated "This fuel may damage 2007 and later year model engines."

Power Service. )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif'07 and later means '07 forward.... Was this on a regular LSD pump or an ULSD pump? The lubricity may be an issue, but I havent heard of there being any issues in California or Canada, they've been running it for some time..Now, the LSD will cause isses with the new '07and later trucks, mainly with the cats..

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( While getting fuel at a local Valero Corner Store I noticed a Warning decal posted on the diesel fuel pump that stated "This fuel may damage 2007 and later year model engines."

Power Service. )</font>

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif'07 and later means '07 forward.... Was this on a regular LSD pump or an ULSD pump? The lubricity may be an issue, but I havent heard of there being any issues in California or Canada, they've been running it for some time..Now, the LSD will cause isses with the new '07and later trucks, mainly with the cats..

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #5  
I wish they'd put 5 to 20% biodiesel in it for lubricity improvement. I've written to my congressment recommending this. Otherwise, to provide biodiesel, stations would need to install a separate tank and pump, and 100% stuff will freeze up in the winter, etc. We're WAAAY too concerned about environmental issues. Should be more concerned about getting usage down. Use of more diesels and more bio stuff are ways of getting crude oil use down.

Ralph

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #6  
I wish they'd put 5 to 20% biodiesel in it for lubricity improvement. I've written to my congressment recommending this. Otherwise, to provide biodiesel, stations would need to install a separate tank and pump, and 100% stuff will freeze up in the winter, etc. We're WAAAY too concerned about environmental issues. Should be more concerned about getting usage down. Use of more diesels and more bio stuff are ways of getting crude oil use down.

Ralph

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #7  
Yes Ralph

And the icing on the cake; I would guess all the $$ going for the bio production should stay right here. Maybe I'll say most. What's that one company... BP? Wonder where their $$ of profit go? I'm sure there are more such companies.

Cheers.....Coffeeman

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #8  
Yes Ralph

And the icing on the cake; I would guess all the $$ going for the bio production should stay right here. Maybe I'll say most. What's that one company... BP? Wonder where their $$ of profit go? I'm sure there are more such companies.

Cheers.....Coffeeman

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #9  

Power Service. )</font>

Nope CarlGlas, I assume you presumed wrong.

It simply means that the fuel you are purchasing now is NOT ULSD, it is just LSD (ie <500ppms), and yes , the sulfur in LSD will destroy all diesel engines manufactured after 2007.

No need to worry though, ULSD will not destroy your diesel engine manufactured prior to 2007. This is just another old wives tale from the urban jungle.........

/ Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel Warning #10  

Power Service. )</font>

Nope CarlGlas, I assume you presumed wrong.

It simply means that the fuel you are purchasing now is NOT ULSD, it is just LSD (ie <500ppms), and yes , the sulfur in LSD will destroy all diesel engines manufactured after 2007.

No need to worry though, ULSD will not destroy your diesel engine manufactured prior to 2007. This is just another old wives tale from the urban jungle.........