Rotary Cutter Unable to disengage drive line from from gearbox...

/ Unable to disengage drive line from from gearbox... #21  
As to the OP, I had the same thing happen once. I put the snap ring back on and went shredding. It loosed up on it own.

That has been suggested at least three times now. Perhaps that is one of the posts he considers irrelevant and is ignoring too?

Comments like....its stuck and I dont know why but it aint the stupid snap ring

or "...shrewd observation...."
...."simple reading...."
...."Read the thread a little better next time and you'll be in a better position to contribute...."

Kinda taking a bad attitude IMO.

And questions like what cutter are you working on? or do you have a manual? are far from irrelevant. They are key pieces of information from people who are genuinely trying to help. The hostility started from his end. No one here was doing anything other than trying to gather enough information to be as helpful as possible. And giving very good suggestions to help him out, which he either never bothered to read, never bothered to try, or.....maybe he got it freed up by mowing some saplings as was suggested LESS THAN AN HOUR after he posted the question?

/ Unable to disengage drive line from from gearbox... #22  
That has been suggested at least three times now. Perhaps that is one of the posts he considers irrelevant and is ignoring too?

Comments like....its stuck and I dont know why but it aint the stupid snap ring

or "...shrewd observation...."
...."simple reading...."
...."Read the thread a little better next time and you'll be in a better position to contribute...."

Kinda taking a bad attitude IMO.

And questions like what cutter are you working on? or do you have a manual? are far from irrelevant. They are key pieces of information from people who are genuinely trying to help. The hostility started from his end. No one here was doing anything other than trying to gather enough information to be as helpful as possible. And giving very good suggestions to help him out, which he either never bothered to read, never bothered to try, or.....maybe he got it freed up by mowing some saplings as was suggested LESS THAN AN HOUR after he posted the question?

You are right!

I just read it as being a little harsh on a newbie. I hope I did not step on your toes. That was not my intent.

/ Unable to disengage drive line from from gearbox... #23  
You are right!

I just read it as being a little harsh on a newbie. I hope I did not step on your toes. That was not my intent.

Its all good.

I know typing on an internet forum, things can be taken out of context, or come across different than they were intended.

But this just wasnt a single post/reply. Happened over a few replys, with still refusing to offer up information that was asked. Or doing what had already been suggested.

The best answer came in post 3, about 45 min after the first post. I'd bet that works 99% of the time. Had the OP tried, post 4 should have been him back saying "worked like a charm" a mere hour after he first posted the question. Nope. Thread continued on with some more good questions asked and suggestions offered. All the OP did was become defensive and criticize the ones trying to help.

Tractor newbie or not. Newbie to the forum or not. A little respect goes a long way when in need of help.

/ Unable to disengage drive line from from gearbox... #24  
Its all good.

I know typing on an internet forum, things can be taken out of context, or come across different than they were intended.

But this just wasnt a single post/reply. Happened over a few replys, with still refusing to offer up information that was asked. Or doing what had already been suggested.

The best answer came in post 3, about 45 min after the first post. I'd bet that works 99% of the time. Had the OP tried, post 4 should have been him back saying "worked like a charm" a mere hour after he first posted the question. Nope. Thread continued on with some more good questions asked and suggestions offered. All the OP did was become defensive and criticize the ones trying to help.

Tractor newbie or not. Newbie to the forum or not. A little respect goes a long way when in need of help.

Again your right.
I know with me, when I post, I get side tracked or go out of town for a while and can't reply as quick as I think I should. But, when I do reply, I do try to address everyone whom has been kind enough to respond.
As he should have done!

/ Unable to disengage drive line from from gearbox... #25  
I easy understand how easy it can be to type something and it not come across as meant but when help is offered and ignored it does show something...

Reason I am back posting on this is simple, I had cut many an acre with rough cut mower and was not aware the ones with shear pins had a snap ring to hold them on. Had wondered just how safe they were when a shear pin or bolt went. I have only ever had cutter with clutches so honestly I learned something by reading this.

The other reason is I doubt anyone who tried to help has not had something "stuck" and would not come off to only learn there was such as snap right or something we just missed. If you never had a "boy how did I overlook that" you have not done much repair work is my experience.

/ Unable to disengage drive line from from gearbox... #26  
I easy understand how easy it can be to type something and it not come across as meant but when help is offered and ignored it does show something...

Reason I am back posting on this is simple, I had cut many an acre with rough cut mower and was not aware the ones with shear pins had a snap ring to hold them on. Had wondered just how safe they were when a shear pin or bolt went. I have only ever had cutter with clutches so honestly I learned something by reading this.

The other reason is I doubt anyone who tried to help has not had something "stuck" and would not come off to only learn there was such as snap right or something we just missed. If you never had a "boy how did I overlook that" you have not done much repair work is my experience.

I agree with the above. I rarely post about day to day issues with minor repairs on my equipment. Just make the repairs and move on. If you have to ask about simple problems then expect some simple questions and basic inquiry about what has been tried so far.

/ Unable to disengage drive line from from gearbox... #27  
What's obvious is that drey can't answer simple questions and is frustrated.

No make and model number, probably no manual, no pictures.

He just wants one of us to wave our magic wand and make it all good for him.

/ Unable to disengage drive line from from gearbox... #28  
mine always shear completely. Top of cutter is piled with little bolt sections. I always get the nut back off of sections if they don't fly. Got to save a penny where you can

Funny, I try and take a quick peek for my nut and washer as well... Thought I was the only cheapy

I agree and would first try some penetrating oil

Does it still spin on the yoke of the gear box and just can't be pulled off? Or does it seem seized on there ?

/ Unable to disengage drive line from from gearbox... #29  
Could of sworn I posted mine before all the back/forth .... That was a good read and I agree with LD1

However, it's been a couple days, any updates? Did the OP get it off.

Funny, someone mentioned, "how did I overlook that". It's very true. I feel comfortable working on certain things and feel "experienced". Other things that may be basic to others may send for for a loop (like what am I possibly missing on something that looks straight forward).

So when I post, I expect a wide variety of answers from detailed vocabulary to basic terminology ( the thing is stuck on the whichimicallit but I got the Doohickey off the thingamabobber).

Anyway, without further dissection of the thread, what's the status?

And I am not rereading the entire post (sometimes guys don't have time to read several pages and want to throw out a suggestion and be on there way as they're trying help. So some may be posted a few times.

Was the shear pin actually completely removed or just the ends snapped off? I take and old pair of needle nice and bang on the handle to pound out the stick part of the bolt that remains.

I like the idea of the saplings if it's that stuck.

As for a "stupid" snap ring, I can't wait to see if I have one, never checked and I've busted dozens of pins but don't think Ive ever had the shaft off. Like another guy, I had a clutch on my last hog.

Here's another "dumb" thought. Is the shaft disconnect from the tractor? Could just be binding a bit making it tight. I've had that sometimes when sitting on an angle (side hill) it's just enough pressure to be snug ( again, could be the simplest of things.

My next suggestion is to force it out.

Have the hog attached to the tractor, run a chain under the tractor. Put one end m around the shaft or through the u-joint, the other end of the chain to the rear of a quad preferably but a truck if need be. Slow pull to have to come lose.

I can draw a picture of I am not clear .