Chains Unable to keep chains in optimum position

/ Unable to keep chains in optimum position #1  

yanmar1948

Tractor
yanmar ym2010
We're in the deep-freeze up here in the Northwest and needing to move some snow. I have a Yanmar 2010 2-wheel drive equipped with ag tires. When the tires slip, the chains slip down off the tire cleats and end up between the cleats, rendering them practically useless as a traction aid. This only occurs in reverse, as the cleats are beveled from high to low. I have tightened them as much as I can, but thus far have been able to keep them where they belong. Any ideas in keeping the chains on top of the tire cleats.

Thanks

/ Unable to keep chains in optimum position #2  
You probably have ladder type chains, which you are correct don't work well on R1 tires. They work well on R3 tires and fair on R4 tires where they cannot slip down in the spaces. You need one of the types of chains which have links that run along the circumference of the tire and cannot slip down in the spaces. It would appear you have the wrong chains for your type of tires.. Of course you did not post any pictures, so I am guessing here.

Aquiline Tire Chains

/ Unable to keep chains in optimum position #3  
Add more cross chains or modify your chains to the duo grip style. They end up making a h pattern on the treads. Still not great but alot better than nothing.

/ Unable to keep chains in optimum position #4  
We're in the deep-freeze up here in the Northwest and needing to move some snow. I have a Yanmar 2010 2-wheel drive equipped with ag tires. When the tires slip, the chains slip down off the tire cleats and end up between the cleats, rendering them practically useless as a traction aid. This only occurs in reverse, as the cleats are beveled from high to low. I have tightened them as much as I can, but thus far have been able to keep them where they belong. Any ideas in keeping the chains on top of the tire cleats. Thanks

I had chains like that. I took them back and bought better ones, with v-bars. Super traction, but you have to watch out on pavement or concrete. I parked the tractor on a piece of plywood in my garage when I had these chains on. Also, they given very rough ride if you have to drive down the road a ways, unless the road is snow-covered.