Uncomfortable seat improvement on Grand L 4330

/ Uncomfortable seat improvement on Grand L 4330 #1  

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
Hello,

This thread is about a seat modification to address:
1) the seat is too flat, front to back, for much comfort.
2) the seat doesn't slide back far enough to accommodate my 34 inch inseam. My knees hit the dashboard when I'm turned to watch behind the tractor.

The tractor is a Grand L 4330 but the other Grand L models may have similiar seats, or other series of Kubota's for that matter. The seat is hinged in front and rests on springs in the rear. Those rear springs are effectively weight sensors to shut the tractor down in certain conditions if they aren't compressed by the operator. The tractor shuts down when the seat is slightly elevated but if the seat is elevated by a lot, as in hinged fully forward, the tractor will continue to run. In other words, with the seat all the way up, that safety feature is overridden, presumably so you can run PTO driven stationary attachments without being in the seat. I'd read of this before on TBN but didn't know if it pertained to my particuliar model.

The modification consists of mounting a left and right bracket to elevate the front hinge points by 1.3 inches straight up. My first attempt was raising them by 1.7 inches and that was very comfortable when sitting still but while bouncing around and using the footfeet, it was too much pressure behind the knees. The 1.3 inches is very comfortable while sitting and operating.

It seems that those brackets would also offer a good opportunity to move the hinge points rearward as well for more leg room but a half inch or so would interfer with opening the tool box behind the seat. As it turns out, just raising the front results in more knee room either because it changes the angle of my legs or the rearward tilt keeps me from sliding forward.

The first picture is of the seat base without the seat. The brackets are visible at the front of the base. Note the vertical spacing between the new hinge hole and the old hinge hole in the base, directly below it. The pivot pins themselves are left and right shoulder bolts with an 8MM x 1.25MM thread.

The second picture is with the seat mounted and tilted fully up such that you are seeing the bottom of the seat. Note the white lever protruding from the seat base that shuts down the tractor depending on the seat position. With the seat front in it's new elevation, the lever does not engage the seat properly. To solve this, a .3 inch spacer is screwed to the seat bottom where the lever formerly contacted. It's hard to see in the picture because it's gray like the seat bottom.

This has been a worthwhile modification for me.

John

Attachments

• Kubota seat 1 scaled.JPG
    Kubota seat 1 scaled.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 361
  • Kubota seat 2 scaled.JPG
    Kubota seat 2 scaled.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 377
   / Uncomfortable seat improvement on Grand L 4330 #2  
I have a similar issue with my B3200. The seat is not high enough and I find it very difficult to operate the HST pedels, especially the rear one. I had considered fabricating larger (taller) seat attachment brackets but felt I may end up with a safety switch problem. I have opted to fabricate a 1.25" oak spacer to be bolted to the seat bottom using counter-sunk bolts (through the existing attachment threaded holes in the seat bottom) and then attaching the existing seat brackets to the oak spacer (Threaded inserts in the oak spacer). In essence, I will be making the seat sit 1.25" higher, without any affect on the safety switches.
Let me know what you think. I hope to find time to do this within the next few weeks. I will take pictures when I do.

Jim from NH

/ Uncomfortable seat improvement on Grand L 4330 #3  
jmc:
Thanks for a great solution to resolve my uncomfortable seat. My inseam is 32# so I am not as tall as you, but I have often wished I could move the seat rearward just a bit to make it more comfortable for my knees. I have a GL3430 with the identical seat up as yours. Thanks again,
Another jmc

/ Uncomfortable seat improvement on Grand L 4330
Jim and John,

Finally, someone found this post of interest! I was starting to think my solution was too obvious to comment on. Thanks for the feedback.

Jim, wood might work if moisture isn't a problem and you can find metric T nuts. I'd make the wood as big as possible and still not interfer with the seat since it has to support a cantilevered load.

Good luck, gentlemen.

John