Under 5k tractor possible?

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #41  
A MF 135-145 or a Ford 2000-3000 can be had for that. I don't know if they are any tougher than an 8N but they are more comfortable and modern. You can do a lot of work with one.

the 4 cyl 00/01 and the 3 cyl models are much tougher and have more options than the 8n. the hydro pump on the 8n is arguable more trouble free and robust.. but it's lack of live hyds makes it a virtual no-show on work days where live hyds count... lots of clever foot work needed to get thru that kind of stuff.

soundguy

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #42  
I don't recall saying i could get parts for my NH at TSC.. but rather my ford N.. and I listed the parts for the ford n that are available.

the fact that sooo many parts are still available for the older tractors that had long build runs / high build numbers is a good sign... especially 50 and 60 ys later... heck.. you can buy brand new made engines or a ford N right now from valubilt.... My point was... in 2065 are you gonna be able to grab a parts catalog and order a brand new engine for your 18hp jinma made in 1995??? I wouldn't bet money on it ;)

soundguy

Soundguy -- can you buy parts for your New Holland at Tractor Supply? I know that with the exception of very basic 3PH parts like pins a top links, I can't buy parts for my Kubota there.

They do have some parts for olrder gas-powered tractors like the Ford 8N's, but that is about it. There are just too many different tractors out there for them to carry parts for all of them. For that matter, even Messick's has had to order many of the parts that I have needed for my Kubotas.

My point, and the point of other posters, is that parts availability at TSC is probably isn't a good benchmark. The benchmark should be, will parts be readily available at a local dealer, or some online source.

For example, Hoye Tractor (and I'm sure others) is a great source for parts for Yanmar tractors that are 20-30 years old, both officially imported, and grey-market.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the quality of anything coming out of China, vs. Japan or Korea. I would certainly stick with one of the more major manufactures, vs. a Jimna, or any of the other Chinese-built units.

I know that from my research into some of the Chinese-made clones of the single-cylinder air-cooled Yanmar diesel engines, many reviewers stated that they needed to disassemble the engines, and clean sand our of them, and some even had to touch-up on the machining work, before they had an engine that would run well, and not destroy itself prematurely (due to the sand). They also commented on loose/improperly torqued fastens, such as head bolts :eek:

Brands that I would consider, based on my research of this and other forums, and also word-of-mouth (in no particular order):
Kubota
John Deere
Ford/New Holland
Case/IH
Allis Chalmers
Massey Ferguson
Yanmar

IMHO, I think your money is much better spent on a good-condition used tractor of one of the above brands (I'm sure there are several other's I have omitted) vs. a Chinese tractor.

That said, if you do go Chinese, the Jimna seem to be better known, and you'll probably find more help on this and other forums than with some of the others.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #43  
Most Posts in the Iseki forum , are people thats thinking about buying a used one , Only to be scared off by the ones that say You cant get parts for them. Unlike the High dollar tractor forums That are constantly talking about talking about their stuff breaking down .

IMHO.. all units break down, eventually. some faster than others.. some more often. In many cases, quality at time of manufacturer greatly effects this.. service at sale effects this.. and service available after, and -long- after the sale effects this.

soundguy

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #44  
The big boom in tractor production in the USA was post WWII. Probably peaked out in early mid 50s.
That big boom is happening now with China and India their production numbers will make our total production numbers pail in contrast. The unfamiliar name manufactures are making huge production runs and I am sure that there will be thousands of after market suppliers filling the need to keep things going in the future.
The Internet will make access and distribution easy.
Just because you are not seeing parts stocked in your neighborhood brick&mortar dose not necessarily mean they will not be readily available when you need them... KennyV

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #45  
Did you see the post from dgl24087? Might be worth checking out.

Massey 135's have a modern hydraulic system, enough weight and power to easily handle 5 ft. bush hogs, and a great diesel. They're common enough so parts will always be available and are easy to resell if you want something different. They're relatively modern and so they're safer than older tractors.

I had a 9n for 22 years. Simple, easy to fix, cheap parts and a great tractor for light work. The 8n is an improvement - 4 speeds vs. 3, handier operator controls, better hydraulic control but I'm afraid it would still be too small for what you'll end up needing.

Happy hunting. Let us know what you settle on.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #46  
Massey 135's have a modern hydraulic system, enough weight and power to easily handle 5 ft. bush hogs, and a great diesel. They're common enough so parts will always be available and are easy to resell if you want something different. They're relatively modern and so they're safer than older tractors. .

I think it's safe to lump a mf 135 into the older trctor category, both age and feature wise.

'safety' features like starter interlocks have been available on tractors since the 30's.

rops retrofits are available on many models.. especially the ford / ferguson pattern machines.

'modern' features like powershift trannies have been available since at least the late 50's.

soundguy

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #47  
Seems to me everybodys worried about the availability of parts for the grey market tractors except the ones that own them . For the Money I have in My Isekis & the lil yanmar I just got. I,ll take my chances .

Bob,

What model Yanmar did you just get?

J.

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #48  
Bob,

What model Yanmar did you just get?

J.

Hi J , its just a baby one . model 1300 D . Mainlly got it for the wife to use for gardening , Plus She,s still not really happy with Me since I traded her 2202 Iseki for My forklift :eek: . Bob

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #49  
Bob ...
I have seen it stated in other ways, but I do believe you have clearly stated what should be obvious.
On this you are absolutely right. KennyV.

+1...

/ Under 5k tractor possible? #50  
N parts that I can remember off the top of my head that they carry:

carb, manifold, manifold gaskets, fan belt, radiator, pan seat, water pump, starter, starter drive gear, generator, steering wheel, fuel tap, radiator felt pad.. radiator cap, spark plugs, points, cap, wires, condensor, wire harnes old and new model, breather cap, sump drain with screen, thermostat, gauges, key switch, ignition resistor, lugnuts and studs, front and rear, pto cap front and rear rims, axle seals for the 9n/2n models, petcock for engine, fuel line elbow with screen, trans shifter handle ball, engine and trans oil dipstick, oil filter element, rear mount drawbar bracket using pto and shroud holes, front grill, carb rebuild kits.

Naw.. not many parts.. :)

soundguy

My point exactly. tuneup parts. Ok some of them are are a little more than what a car guy would consider a "tuneup" at jiffy lube. I've always made jokes that you could build an 8n by shopping at TSC, but that was always part of the joke, because until I see bearings, pistons, cranks, gears, gear cases, sheetmetal, at TSC, it's still not as good as a real "PARTS" supplier like a dealer.

In any case, the ONLY parts at TSC are still ONLY ford N's. Unless you're talking 3pt parts, well now, those fit Jinma's too.