Under-fed horses...at what point should I do something?

/ Under-fed horses...at what point should I do something? #1  

mobilus

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 HST 4WD
The short of it is this: we've got neighbors who own horses as pasture ornaments and they have been declining in health for a while now. Ribs and pelvis showing, probably never had hoof work, and have the saddest expression. My wife went up to the fence line the other day and one of the horses pushed the feed pan to her. Not interested in petting...just "feed me".

We've had issues with the neighbors for quite a while over their dogs, and there's no love to be lost even if they know we called the law. But I don't want to worsen the relationship by placing my opinion of animal welfare over the owner's. I'd like to just tell them but, as with the dogs, the wife will go off and spout legalities from the 1800s.

At what point should one get involved? They're only horses, but...they're horses.

/ Under-fed horses...at what point should I do something? #2  
I would call the local law,Humane Society or who ever it took immediately.I am no horse lover but have a spot for any neglected animals.I raise pheasant(500-1000 per year) and its work and money to take care of them but it gets done.

/ Under-fed horses...at what point should I do something? #3  
SPCA of Texas SPCA of Texas

In Texas, two types of laws protect animals from cruelty: civil laws and criminal laws. The laws are similar but differ in the penalties they impose.

In a civil case, if a judge rules that a person or people have been cruel to animals, the judge may take away their animals and/or order them to pay restitution.

If prosecuted in a criminal case, a person may face penalties including fines, jail or both. Those under the age of 18 are also required to undergo counseling if convicted of animal cruelty.

Texas criminal laws only apply to domesticated animals, such as house pets and livestock defined as “domesticated living creature(s) or any wild living creature previously captured” and subject to a person’s care and control. The scope of civil laws are broader and do not differentiate between domestic and wild animals; however, civil statutes adopt a much narrower definition of what constitutes cruelty. Therefore, people could engage in actions that are not prosecutable under Texas criminal laws, but they would be held liable for their actions under civil laws.

Section 42.09 "Cruelty to Livestock Animals" and 42.092 "Cruelty of Non-Livestock Animals" of the Texas Penal Code prohibits a person from intentionally, knowingly or recklesly cruelly treating an animal. The following actions define cruel punishment:

Torturing an animal
Failing to provide food, care or shelter
Abandoning an animal
Transporting or confining an animal in a cruel manner
Killing, seriously injuring or poisoning an animal
Causing an animal to fight with another
Using a live animal as a lure in a dog race
Tripping a horse
Injuring an animal belonging to another person
Seriously overworking an animal.

House Bill 653 and Senate Bill 1724, commonly known as “Loco’s Law,” went into effect September 1, 2001, making animal cruelty a felony and punishable by a $10,000 fine and up to two years in jail. The law was named for a puppy called Loco, whose eyes were intentionally gouged out. Prior to Loco’s Law, animal cruelty was not considered a felony under Texas law. Today, animal cruelty convictions are classified as either a felony or misdemeanor.

/ Under-fed horses...at what point should I do something? #4  
No animal should be (or allowed to be) intentionally neglected. This is a hard subject for a lot of us that are sporting folk - hunters or anglers, but domesticated animals deserve consideration - they are somewhat different than wild animals, and sport and harvest hunters and anglers generally have a good ethic, waste not want not or catch & release where applicable.

Give your local animal authorities a heads up, let them be the bad guy, do it anonymously if necessary.

/ Under-fed horses...at what point should I do something? #5  
If you have to ask if you should call, then you should call.

Given the state of the animals, why have you not called sooner? In NC, Animal Control is who I would call if I saw what you describe. If you do not know who to call, call up the local law enforcement agency on a non 911 number. If you can't find a non emergency number, then call 911.

Call and call now.

Later,
Dan

/ Under-fed horses...at what point should I do something? #6  
Call now!
Try animal control but to me they are worthless.

I would contact a local horse rescue group and the local news station.

They love stories like this and it seems to get things resolved.

/ Under-fed horses...at what point should I do something? #7  
Call the SPCA, they will come take a look and take action. Neighbors never have to know you were the reporting party.

/ Under-fed horses...at what point should I do something? #8  
As one who has been called on, I can tell you there are many reasons for a skinny horse. In the horse world there are two types. Easy keepers and hard keepers. With easy keepers a pad of hay and a cup of feed will keep them mud fat. Hard keepers can stand over a round bale 24/7 and never gain anymore than a hay belly,making them look pregnant.

You mention declining health,so I guess they are Sr horses. As a horse ages they tend to have dental problems that don't always get taken care of. A horse needs their teeth floated a minimum of every two years. A horses teeth continue to grow and their gums recede. Biting rocks and the abrasive nature of their diet creates points on their teeth,making it hard to chew,and causing dropped and wasted feed. This by te way is where the saying long in the tooth comes from.

Another factor could be the breed of horse. Gaited horses are built with high withers, protruding hips,and a light cover of fat over the ribs. These features along with age cause a horse past their prime to be miserable looking creatures.

Maybe instead of calling right away you should observe a few things first. You say you can walk up to the feed pan. Observe that and see if the owners are using it. Horse can be very pushy when they think someone will give them a treat. Do they have a good source of grass or hay. A horse only needs 1 to 2% of their weight per day, but can dump around 50# of manure and urine a day. Is their water clean and not green or frozen? You say they probably need a farrier for their hoofs. Are they so long that they curl back under? I've always wondered who does the wild horses feet.

If all this checks out maybe you could have someone talk to them about senior horse diets. Maybe suggest wetting their hay down to make it more palatable or using chopped forage. Or testing for worms and start a good deworming program. But the real truth of the matter is if these horses are 27years old or older they are lucky to have a place to stand and live the rest of their lives. Lots of horses in today's economy have become disposable,abandoned or sold to kill buyers.

/ Under-fed horses...at what point should I do something? #9  
Call the SPCA and let them decide wherther the horses are "hard keepers" or being neglected.

/ Under-fed horses...at what point should I do something? #10  
First... what is the condition of the pasture? Is it full of grass or cleaned out? If it is cleaned out and they are thin, it is NOT because they are hard keepers.

There are many reasons for thin animals, and as Walkin Horse stated, some are legitimate. However, it is incumbent upon the owner to provide adequate care and nutrition. If they have worms, that's on the owner. If the neighbor is broke, that's STILL on the owner.

I would call the Sheriff. They will know whom to call and they can come out and take a look. If there are legitimate reasons ie Medical, and there is adequate food and care, then it will be found and you can rest easy. If not, then those horses can be taken off the owners mind and given to someone who can care for them.