Underground dog fence

/ Underground dog fence #1  

Adam2012

Tractor
Landtrac 360dts 2000
I have been thinking about getting a underground dog fence. Does anybody know anything about them, do they work good, we have a lab and a beagle. What is the best brand to get to take care of both of them. My yard is about an acre.
Thanks, Adam

/ Underground dog fence #2  
My sister has one, and they work well, but only if the dog is well trained with it. When her dog gets to chasing after something and loses his mind, he can easily blow through the fence and only receive a minor shock. The problem is when he gets out, the system isn't smart enough to let him back in! Also, other animals can come into the fenceline unhindered.

Regardless, I think they are great for a supervised, well trained dog to get some exercise, but if you want to just leave your dog outside it isn't a good system for that.

/ Underground dog fence #3  
My neighbor has two dogs, a real nice husky & a @#%ho&* golden. They never pass their invisable fence despite the golden wanting to attack everything/anything that passes. MikeD74T

/ Underground dog fence #4  
We put one in last summer but I can't think of the brand name. We have 3 dogs (collie, sheltie, and german shepherd). The collie and the shepherd were the worst ones for running out of the yard. I have to say that it has worked well for us. Whatever brand you go with will have a teaching regimen that you must follow with the dogs. We don't leave the dogs outside unsupervised and count on the fence to keep them in. As was mentioned ealier, if the dog sees something irresistible it may bolt across the line.

/ Underground dog fence #5  
Petsafe In-Ground fence. The package comes with a 500 ft roll of wire and bought another 500 ft and used almost the entire 2nd roll when I put ours in. I've seen folks fab something to lay underground line and pull it in the ground with tractor, but it the fence only needs to be about an inch or so below surface. I let on tooth down on boxblade to "dig" my trench, or mostly just scratched the surface. Then I pushed the wire in and mashed the grass/dirt over it. About a week or so later you couldn't tell it was there. As far as training, I turned it to its highest settings and walked the dog on a lease a couple times to pull them back when it starts to shock. If they continue to get shocked and get out, then I didn't need that dumb of a dog around my house. The underground fence worked well on a few labs, a bloodhound, and a jack-rat. Petsafe also makes a stubborn dog collar that has higher settings.

FYI...Remember where it is buried b/c I was grading the driveway and forgot and had to fix part of it. Even though they sell "in-ground fence wire", speaker wire works just as good for a patch and a whole lot cheaper. I am not sure about other brands, but mine beeps when there is a line break to let me know.

/ Underground dog fence #6  
We have one for our australian shepherd. We just let her out to go potty when we are home. We don't leave her out by herself. She was easy to train and has not had an issue.

I recommend them. I installed ours with a machine specifically designed to install them I rented from the local rental place. Cost about $30.

/ Underground dog fence
I appreciate all of the responses, the main reason I wanted one is I have chickens and I thought it might help keep my lab from chasing them. Also to keep them both off the road.
I will have to look into the petsafe fence sounds like it might do the trick.

/ Underground dog fence #8  
I realize it costs quite a bit more, but there is a wireless unit that does the same thing. Where I live in the mountains it would have been quite a job trying to bury the wire. You just set up the unit in the house and set the signal strength and from then on it works like the buried wire type. I think it is good for somewhere between 100 and 200 foot radius around the transmitter.

/ Underground dog fence #9  
I realize it costs quite a bit more, but there is a wireless unit that does the same thing. Where I live in the mountains it would have been quite a job trying to bury the wire. You just set up the unit in the house and set the signal strength and from then on it works like the buried wire type. I think it is good for somewhere between 100 and 200 foot radius around the transmitter.

Yup. A lot of folks are not going with the buried wire anymore.

/ Underground dog fence #10  
GLorman said:

We love ours. Works perfect.