Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #11  
I agree, Ralph. If you think of it, ask them why a finer micron rated filter is before the coarser fuel injection pump filter too.

My bet, if they are like the ones around here, the parts guys will not even know the.micron rating of the filters much less why the configuration.

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #12  
Time to change the fuel filters @ 200 hours :irked:.

I was on Deere's online parts catalogue & read about the small pre-fuel filter. The stated purpose for the small micron fuel filter ahead of the main engine fuel filter was to prevent water from passing through.

Well, it must also filter particulates? If so, why not put just one LARGE fuel filter on with a small micron rating? This sure looks like a kluge.

I am guessing the big 19 micron filter comes with the Yanmar engine (maybe the Japanese take better care of their fuel, don't have water in it? Temperate climate?), so Deere's 'solution' was to add the cheap, dinky filter ahead of that you have to change all the time?

Ralph is right - they couldn't have stuffed it in a more difficult access location, either. I will drop the mower deck, pull the LR wheel & give it a try.

*(@$(&* engineers! (I should know, I am one).

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #13  
I'd think it was there more to protect the small fuel pump from fuel tank debris that is next in the fuel line.

Good luck with the change.

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #14  
I'd think it was there more to protect the small fuel pump from fuel tank debris that is next in the fuel line.

Good luck with the change.

Good point - I forgot about the fuel pump. Seems the critical filter to change regularly (due to upstream importance & small capacity) is the most difficult to get to. Good thing the filter cartridge is cheap.

In fact, I see no functional reason at all for the on-engine filter. I bet it comes stock with the Yanmar engine. But it still needs to be changed, since the element is coated paper that will biodegrade over time - though it likely does no filtering.

I'll have at it when I convert from MMM to FSB later....hopefully it doesn't snow soon.

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025
Mistyped on the "20 hour" service. It's still 50. Did it, without cleaning the suction screen and recently did the engine oil at one year by suctioning out the oil. (Checked suctioning on the 4010. Took it ALL out; nothing came out when I removed the drain plug.) Didn't bother checking the drain plug on the 1025.

Waiting for 100 or 200 hours (whatever the book says) to change out that little beast of a filter off the fuel tank.

Ralph

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #16  
Ralph,

Not that it matters that much, but the suction screen on my 1026R had quite a bit of metal particles on it @ 50 hour service interval. I washed them off in the drain hydraulic oil, taking care not to let any oil get inside the screen.

The screen wasn't clogged by any means, but I felt better cleaning it.

I recently did the 200 hour service, and there were no visible particles on the suction screen. I doubt it will ever need cleaning again, unless an internal machine element starts failing.

for what it's worth..........

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #17  
Are we still talking fuel filters here? I get the feeling when reading that we've switched to the hydraulic oil screen. Just wondering...

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #18  
yeah, threads tend to wander to similar-to stuff. This is all related to the 50 hour recommended maintenance. We've established the small pre-fuel filter is critical to change at a regular interval, and it is a PITA to do so. But we carry on! :salute:

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025 #19  
Ralph,

I took the plunge this weekend and changed fuel filters. I also found Deere put the fuel transfer pump inbetween the little 5 micron fuel filter and the large 20 micron (?) fuel filter. The larger filter is mounted on the 'fire wall' in the engine compartment.

It was terrible to replace the little filter - it is between 2 short fuel line pieces, and I took a #2 shower. I thought to move the thing past the coarse filter, but then the fuel pump wouldn't get any filtering or water removal protection.

And I know they must get dirty from summer dust getting into the fuel cap vent over time.

You have any ideas? :confused:

P.S. - 12.5 inches of snow up here on Monday. And wind. And way below average temperature.

/ Underneath fuel filter on 1023/1025
I only have about 85 hours. Waiting for 200 hours before tackling that little beast.

Checked at JD dealer about getting an in-line shutoff valve, to put in the line when I replace the filter, to make the job easier the next time. They were out of them. Will ask again later.

I plan to siphon the fuel out of the tank when I do the fuel filter.

Ralph