Understandang soil sample results.

/ Understandang soil sample results. #1  

cletus99

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kubota L3800HST
Ok farmers, I know ya'll are out there. Help me with the results of my soil sample. This is the first time I've ever had one and don't know much about it. I'm just looking at doing a vegetable garden with some tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, lettuce, broccoli, peppers, and things like that. Not necessarily all of them right now. I know some are for the cooler months. Hopefully I'm not too late in the season to start. Weather here has been bad though with all the rain and cooler weather than normal.

From the recommendations on the sample it just list lime at a rate of 35 lbs per 1000 feet. However on the results it does show that my P, Mg, and Zn are low, but there isn't a recommendation to add anything other than the lime. Besides adding the lime what would you guys suggest I add? Should I just get some lime and cow manure or something and harrow it in and call it good or what. Also, how long do I need to wait to plant after I add everything, couple days, weeks, or can I go ahead and plant the same day?

Thanks for your help.

View attachment soil sample.pdf

/ Understandang soil sample results. #2  
I would apply the lime ASAP -- plants need an "acceptable" pH in order to make use of nutrients.

Take the report to your local UGA Cooperative Extension office. The staff will be able to provide you with fertilizer recommendations for the vegetables you will be planting. Pick up copies up of the gardening publications from UGA's Extension Service while you are there.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Understandang soil sample results. #3  
That's one of the fun things about gardening.... figuring out what works. I try to taylor my fertilization according to the crop. For example, some crops like more nitrogen, while some crops, if you add too much nitrogen, you'll get a nice big leafy green plant with no fruit. Some crops like different PH than their neighbor. So if you change the PH in an entire garden, like adding lime, you may adversly effect a crops like blueberries that need more acidic soil. So become familiar with your specific crops' needs. ;)

/ Understandang soil sample results. #4  
Good information from Moss and Smstonypoint above. Utilize you Ag Extension Office in your county they are a valuable resource.

I try to maintain a ph of 6.5 for veggies except for potatoes 5-5.5ph. This almanac link list ph need for fruits and vegetables. soil pH level acidic alkaline preferences

Here is a couple of good link for reading soil reports. http://www.ncagr.gov/agronomi/pdffiles/ustr.pdf

Soil Test Report

Your test report was not a detailed as mine so the Ag Extension should be able to help. If you apply lime to raise the ph be sure to till it in before planting. If you just leave it on the surface it will only change the ph about an inch or so deep, not enough to get to the roots.

35lbs per 1000 sq ft is not bad, that's around 1500-1600 lbs per acre. Or $150.00 worth of lime.

/ Understandang soil sample results.
My garden isn't very big, maybe 3600 sqft maybe. I've got to measure it and see exactly. I guess because I didn't specify exactly what I wanted to plant, that's the reason mine isn't as detailed as it normally would be. After I add the lime and till it in do I need to wait a certain amount of time before planting or can I apply it, till it, and plant seeds or transplant the same day. I'm not sure if I want to just buy some small plants and transplant them or plant some seeds. What do you all think would be the best.

/ Understandang soil sample results. #6  
You can till it in and plant the same day. I do both transplant and seed at the same time. It helps stagger the harvest.

If you don't want to lime the entire garden you can figure the sq ft per row and lime the row and till it in. Same with fertilizer. I usually go easy on the fertilizer when planting seed or transplant so not to risk burning them. Once they are established I will usually side dress with a little fertilizer.

Ok well evidently the soil sample they emailed wasn't complete because I got the paper copy in the mail today. I took a picture of the information on it and I'll upload it. Hopefully it will be readable. It tells me to add zinc sulfate, sulfur or gypsum, 10-10-10, and lime. I'm not sure where to get the zinc sulfate and sulfur or gypsum. Guess I'll have to check with my feed store and see what they have. Just a quick Internet search it seems like the zinc comes in 50lb bags. I don't need but like 9 or 10 tablespoons though. I measured the garden this afternoon and it's only 30x30 or 900 square feet. Is there some kind of other fertilizer or something I could get that would have all this in it or what?

ForumRunner_20140506_192120.png

ForumRunner_20140506_192129.png

/ Understandang soil sample results. #8  
Picked up everything except the lime today. Feed store was out, but going to pick some up tomorrow somewhere else. I'm going to spread it all out probably Saturday and plant some cucumbers, yellow squash and some zucchini.

Now the question I have is after I put down the lime, fertilizer, and sulfur should I go ahead and run the Harrow over it again or leave it and go ahead and plant my seeds?

Also it says to dissolve 1 tbs zinc sulfate in a gallon of water and apply per 100 feet of row. I'm a little confused on that. Do I just spray the sulfur water on the rows after I plant or spray the whole garden then harrow or just spray it after I run the harrow and then plant? My garden is only 1000 sqft.

Should I also pick up some cow manure and put down and harrow in too?

/ Understandang soil sample results. #10  
Since you have a small area, incorporate your lime first, then add your fertilizer and incorporate that just before you start planting. Lime can react with the fertilizer and you can lose much of your nitrogen especially if you use pulverized lime. Ag lime is courser and breaks down slower over time. I would wait until fall to add manure. Being vegetables, and depending on age and bedding material in the manure, it could cause problems (microbe types use up the nutrients breaking down the manure and bedding especially sawdust bedding) with your plants and vegetable formation. Good luck.