Unexpected new project: What round for Trailer Deck?

/ Unexpected new project: What round for Trailer Deck?
Since it's square edged 2x12 will be strongest*. If it were T-G it wouldn't make too much difference since each piece is supported by another on both edges.

*But you may want to calculate how different sizes will fit. It wouldn't be great to use 2x12s and then find out there's a 3" space to fill when you got to the middle or edge. OTOH, if you have a table saw you could just figure out what size they all needed to be and rip to 10-1/2" or whatever it worked out to. BTW, PT will shrink a little, but not much. I would space them 1/8-1/4" to start with to ensure that water won't stay trapped between.

Yeah, I planned to buy at least one 2x4 or 2x6 for the one odd man out.

Talked to the sawyer's wife tonight. :( If I won the lottery......

/ Unexpected new project: What round for Trailer Deck? #32  
Yeah, I planned to buy at least one 2x4 or 2x6 for the one odd man out.

Talked to the sawyer's wife tonight. :( If I won the lottery......

Rough sawn hardwood materials fetch a pretty stiff price these days, most places. The ground contact treated should be the most economical.

/ Unexpected new project: What round for Trailer Deck? #33  
I will never do a trailer again in pressure treated anything. I ended up with 3/4 gaps when it dried out. I now just use nominal spf lumber and give it a yearly bath of new engine oil thinned with diesel. It has been working out better than anything.

In fact I like the oil and diesel protection so much, I coated the piers on my cabin deck with it. Its amazing, but the greenies hate me.

Rough sawn hardwood materials fetch a pretty stiff price these days, most places. The ground contact treated should be the most economical.

My bad: I wasn't referring to the cost of the rough sawn lumber, I haven't talked to my sawyer yet. I was referring to the fact that his wife said he was ill from his cancer treatment. If I ever won the lottery, I'd be paying and/or helping with his medical bills.

I will never do a trailer again in pressure treated anything. I ended up with 3/4 gaps when it dried out. I now just use nominal spf lumber and give it a yearly bath of new engine oil thinned with diesel. It has been working out better than anything.

In fact I like the oil and diesel protection so much, I coated the piers on my cabin deck with it. Its amazing, but the greenies hate me.

So just regular board lumber from the Big Box Store or equivalent?

/ Unexpected new project: What round for Trailer Deck? #36  
PT on a trailer where it can dry from both sides will last virtually forever.

If you go with oak, white oak has much better rot resistance than red oak.

/ Unexpected new project: What round for Trailer Deck? #37  
PT on a trailer where it can dry from both sides will last virtually forever.

ANY wood, if it only gets surface moisture and is allowed to dry out, will last a person's lifetime. Or more.

Granted, that's nowhere near "forever" but good enough for most folk.

/ Unexpected new project: What round for Trailer Deck? #38  
I disagree that PT will last forever, which is a pretty long time. :) The chemical they push into the Pressure Treated lumber does work its was out, as it cycles between wet, then dried as most trailer decks will see. Depending on your weather, it will still last a pretty long time and if you paint it with some preservative while its dry, it will last a very long time.. If it was my trailer, I'd use standard PT lumber.

/ Unexpected new project: What round for Trailer Deck? #39  
I disagree that PT will last forever, which is a pretty long time. :) The chemical they push into the Pressure Treated lumber does work its was out, as it cycles between wet, then dried as most trailer decks will see. Depending on your weather, it will still last a pretty long time and if you paint it with some preservative while its dry, it will last a very long time.. If it was my trailer, I'd use standard PT lumber.

I store my PT decked trailer inside.
I DO expect the decking to last nearly...forever.

/ Unexpected new project: What round for Trailer Deck? #40  
When I re-decked my trailer, I bought PT 2x8s and stored them, stacked with shims and strapped together, for several months. Then I installed them tight and several years later, I have minimal gaps. I keep my trailer inside most of the time and, like fried, expect the trailer deck to outlast me.