Unique Savonius wind turbine

/ Unique Savonius wind turbine #1  

tractorgp

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Been making some progress on the horizontally oriented Savonius wind turbine. Took this short video today with my tower mounted security camera. I'll post more info as the project progresses. The idea is to see how an "augmenter/overspeed" feature will work.

/ Unique Savonius wind turbine #3  
Are you going to make your own direct drive pm alternator?

/ Unique Savonius wind turbine
Are you going to make your own direct drive pm alternator?

That is my thought and the design allows for it but this is mainly a test of the augmenter/overspeed control ideas. The turbine is in the "drag" category of turbines so not that efficient but the augmenter feature will (I hope) improve the efficiency somewhat - but I won't have any real way of proving that. This is a fun experiment and in terms of wind turbines it will not be that practical compared to alternative designs.

/ Unique Savonius wind turbine #6  
This is THE way to harness wind energy. Those propeller toys are junk compared to this. This belongs in the wind turbine thread.

/ Unique Savonius wind turbine #10  
He said his lawyer advised about the potential for excessive voltage production. For that you would need high winds, open circuit voltage, be standing in bare feet, in the rain, in the mud... and touch it with your tongue.