Universal Seat Cushion Quality Testimonial/ Reviews

/ Universal Seat Cushion Quality Testimonial/ Reviews #1  

BondoBuilder

Bronze Member
Hi Folks!

I'll preface this post by saying I'm currently working in the Pacific Northwestern region of Canada, where aftermarket parts are few and far between and are pretty high..., and it rains, a lot.

We've got an open station Massey 4270 with an armless universal seat and the cushions are cracked and half missing. Everyone on the farm crew is tired of having wet seat of the pants for three hours after running it, and tired of chasing trash bags across the fields when we start up the next day. The seat frame is still in good shape and, believe it or not, still slides!

The bossman says it's time to do something before hay season gets rolling. His budget is about $200ish CAD.

Lots of vendors online sell the A&I Products India or Chinese made replacement seat cushions.

I'm looking at a straight black Massey style replacement, or the John Deere style (stock# 5000sckit) one that looks to have a little more foam [color coordination really doesn't matter around here]. Pics attached for reference.

The price difference seems to be about $25 shipped to my door.

My question for those with the Deere style 5000sckit model- Has it held up any better than the universal cushions in terms cracking or vinyl thickness? Do you notice any difference in comfort?

Thanks in advance for the input!

Attachments

• Massey Seat.jpeg
    Massey Seat.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 64
  • John Deere copy.jpg
    John Deere copy.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 53
   / Universal Seat Cushion Quality Testimonial/ Reviews #2  
TORO has some really nice industrial seats on the Z-Master.

Many of the seats today FAIL the normal UV requirements since they got higher in price after 2016. Depending on your needs. Wise Seat MFG for Marine grade seating would hold up even longer. They are made with better quality materials and cost a little less or about equal.

1652819501348.png

1652819563143.png

1652819651963.png

The ti-pars are strong and double stitched.

If you have red or blue tractors, the select is widely great with many matching patterns.

Marine seats have to pass UV, salt water, grease, oil and fish guts environment. Even to resist to some degree sharp objects like fishing gear and hooks.

/ Universal Seat Cushion Quality Testimonial/ Reviews #3  

bmaverick,​

Where do you get the ti-pars?
Thanks,
Steve

/ Universal Seat Cushion Quality Testimonial/ Reviews #4  

bmaverick,​

Where do you get the ti-pars?
Thanks,
Steve
Ti-pars or Ty-pars, I don't recall the spelling. Those are the edge seams that are stitched to hold tops, sides and bottoms together. I would only 'assume' Jo-Ann Fabrics or some sewing fabric stores would have them.

Also the ty-pars come in plastic clear tubing with an extruded flange to lock the sewing onto. I have a family member who owns his own upholstery shop restoring classic furniture.

/ Universal Seat Cushion Quality Testimonial/ Reviews
Here's an update for those thinking about how to save their seat:

I took bmaverick's advice and went with a charcoal gray Springfield boat seat. This tractor spends a lot of time in the weather, unsheltered. My hope is the UV protected vinyl will hold up.

I had to do a bit of modifying to the seat frame to mount the cushions, but it wasn't too bad. You can sort of see in the pictures that I left half of the hinge on the seat back as a trim piece. The seat seam is open there and the hinge secures it in place.

So far the seat is as comfortable as the cheap replacement cushions you'd buy online or at the farm supply store.

Here are some pictures for reference:

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    830.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    902.8 KB · Views: 59
   / Universal Seat Cushion Quality Testimonial/ Reviews #6  
Here's an update for those thinking about how to save their seat:

I took bmaverick's advice and went with a charcoal gray Springfield boat seat. This tractor spends a lot of time in the weather, unsheltered. My hope is the UV protected vinyl will hold up.

I had to do a bit of modifying to the seat frame to mount the cushions, but it wasn't too bad. You can sort of see in the pictures that I left half of the hinge on the seat back as a trim piece. The seat seam is open there and the hinge secures it in place.

So far the seat is as comfortable as the cheap replacement cushions you'd buy online or at the farm supply store.

Here are some pictures for reference:
Is there a way to snag the old bottom seat bracket with seat belts and place under the new seat?

I only mention the seat belt as a 2 fold help.
1. at least my state law mentions to wear seatbelts with Ag machines on the hwy if so equipped.
2. ROPS only work when seatbelts keep you in the ROPS protected zone.

If I'm grading the driveway, I neglect the seat belts. But, post hole digging, it's a must to wear them. I've snagged on a rock or two and the front end goes sky high with the tractor. It's freaky when that happens.

It's like night and day between the 2 seats. Nice upgrade. :)

/ Universal Seat Cushion Quality Testimonial/ Reviews
Is there a way to snag the old bottom seat bracket with seat belts and place under the new seat?

I only mention the seat belt as a 2 fold help.
1. at least my state law mentions to wear seatbelts with Ag machines on the hwy if so equipped.
2. ROPS only work when seatbelts keep you in the ROPS protected zone.

If I'm grading the driveway, I neglect the seat belts. But, post hole digging, it's a must to wear them. I've snagged on a rock or two and the front end goes sky high with the tractor. It's freaky when that happens.

It's like night and day between the 2 seats. Nice upgrade. :)
It's hard to see in my first couple of posted pictures, but I added a OSHA approved retractable forklift seatbelt. As you say, cheap insurance for the unexpected upsets of the machine

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2995.jpeg
    thumbnail_IMG_2995.jpeg
    864.6 KB · Views: 39
   / Universal Seat Cushion Quality Testimonial/ Reviews #8  
Personally, I despise vinyl covered seats in general. They all cause a sweaty butt no matter what you do. I replaced the seat on my M9 open station with a Talon Cordura seat from Rural King. Cordura is basically weatherproof and don't contribute to sweat butt. I also asked my seamstress wife (politely) to sew me up an overcover made from an old bath towel which works great. Much better sitting on a fuzzy bath towel than even the Cordura or the cloth covered Grammer in my cab tractor plus it saves the seat cushion from excessive wear and keeps it looking new. On the open station if it's sitting out in a field, I'll cover the seat and arm rests (the Talon seats come with adjustable arm rests standard) with a hefty garbage bag and set a weight (usually a block of wood) on the seat to keep the hefty bag from blowing away and when I use the unit, the bag comes off and goes in the tool box.

I believe I paid under 200 bucks for the Talon delivered and the base is standard ISO pattern so mounting isn't an issue at all. I also replaced the funky (and heavy) seat base with a K&M seat base. Light years better and much lighter. Good adjustable spring suspension and you can add their swivel if required.

I have to have a comfortable seat and no sweaty butt.

Don't ever think about buying a Kubota seat, they are insanely expensive and sweat butt vinyl of course.

The Grammer in my other Kubota is air ride. The compressor is self contained in the seat base. I'm not all that fond of the Grammer seat as it lacks an adjustable lumbar support but it's good enough that I would not change it out, least not yet. The Talon has adjustable lumbar support as well.

My 2 cents on seats. I won't ever buy a sweat butt vinyl seat.

/ Universal Seat Cushion Quality Testimonial/ Reviews #9  
I switched 2 of the lawn tractors to adjustable weight suspension seats that can be flipped forward for rainy days.
Think they were under $130 US Definitely ride better in the rough. They also come with a slider for fore/aft adjustment.

The ride quality was most important to me, although an air ride would be considerably better, the price was right for what was provided.
just another option

Last edited:
   / Universal Seat Cushion Quality Testimonial/ Reviews #10  
Surplus center has a bunch of seats for not to expensive. I have two of them right now.

On the other hand I have a wrap around 2 piece seat from tractor supply. The metal is so thin and soft its bending or bent.