Unknown year Farmall C carb help

/ Unknown year Farmall C carb help #1  

smilinjak

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3800 HST
T am trying to help a neighbor with an old Farmall C. It is supposed to start on gas then switch over to diesel to run. The carb has me befuddled. There is no visible throttle lever or shaft that would hold a plate. There is some kind of mechanism in front of the carb that the throttle rod connects to. It has a tube about !/2 inch pipe size that fits between the carb and whatever the mechanism in front of it is. The shop manual the owner has doesn't help at all. Moving the throttle lever on the steering column has no effect on engine speed. Any help will be much appreciated.
Smilinjak

/ Unknown year Farmall C carb help #2  
Are you sure its a C??? Sounds more like an H (distillate)to me......what side of the tractor (facing forward from the seat) is the carb on??? BobG in VA

/ Unknown year Farmall C carb help #3  
I concur with Bob. C's had a threaded linkage that runs alongside the block from the throttle shaft up to the governor shaft. The actual governor on a C is on the right side of the engine above the hydraulic pump.

H's have the governor on the left side of the block and a shaft inside a housing that would actuate the throttle plate directly.

C's were available in a distillate version that started on gasoline and then you switched over to distillate after warm up.

Post a picture of the serial number plate from the tractor...C s/n plate is on the side of the tool box seat base...H's is on the clutch housing (I think).

/ Unknown year Farmall C carb help
Are you sure its a C??? Sounds more like an H (distillate)to me......what side of the tractor (facing forward from the seat) is the carb on??? BobG in VA

Thanks for your response Bob. You are right the tractor is an H. We got the tractor running by locating and hooking up the throttle rod. Now we have to get the charging system to working. It has been converted to 12 volt alternator. I say converted which is not really accurate. An alternator was hung on the engine with pullys out of line and aflat belt in v groove pullys. Wring is of the same quality work. We shall persevere and conquer this beast.
Smilinjak