unsynchronized transmission

/ unsynchronized transmission #1  

Mika75

Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I have a Ford 600 Series 640 Model tractor. I believe it is a 1954/1955 Model Year.

I've had it for about 3 years, changed all the fluids and converted it to a 12 volt system when I got it.

The reason for the conversation, was the generator was not working and it needed a battery. The cost of a new 6 volt battery and new or rebuilt generator, was more than the cost of the 12 volt conversion.

Anyway, I use this tractor occasionally to grade my driveway or use the boom pole and winch to haul or drag trees, large limbs and such. I also use it to transport a trailer on my place from time to time.

I use a range of gears in the 4 speed gear box and although it is an unsynchronized transmission, I was wondering if I could safety shift gears on the fly if I were to double clutch it.

I don't hot dog this tractor and I'm not looking to create problems down the road. I was just wondering, is all.

Have any of you older tractor owners had any such thoughts or experience?

Thanks in advance for your input.

/ unsynchronized transmission #2  
Most older tractors don't have synchros.

Personally I've never been good at shifting on the fly, and generally shift with the tractor stopped.

/ unsynchronized transmission #3  
My wife's granddaddy had a 1962 ford 601 with transmission like you have. No problem in shifting it between gears being reasonable. Many manual transmissions been used with no issues IF THE DRIVER paid attention. My brother in law still has it and as far as I know never any issue with the transmission.
Many of those tractors were converted to 12 volts, many.

Watch the oil in the transmission for contamination and being correct oil.

/ unsynchronized transmission #4  
29 years of shifting a non synchronized 13 speed Road Ranger. You need to learn how to 'float the gears' which in essence is matching the rotation of the gearsets to one another. I have the same deal with my M9 Kubota's, only the first gearset is synchro, the rest aren't and I 'float' my gears all the time when roading.

Prior to retirement, driving a big truck, the ONLY time I used a clutch was when starting out from a dead stop and in millions of miles, I never wore out a dry clutch in any of the big trucks I drove, company owned or otherwise.

Double clutching really has nothing to do with it in reality. Knowing when the gearsets are matched does and that only comes with experience.

Both my M's are hydraulic shuttle and the only time I use the shuttle is when changing directions and I rarely use the 'clutch' pedal except when cold starting them.

/ unsynchronized transmission
I do know the tractor should be stopped before shifting gears and\or started out in the gear the operator would be using.

At times I have thought I should have used a higher gear, as the one I chose first was too low. I have always stopped and shifted to another gear. I was just wondering about double clutching.

As for the transmission oil, I had done some research before I changed the fluids and although I forget where I saw this, this is what I opted for...

"The transmission and rear end/differential can use gear oil, 80 or 90wt, or 85w/140 depending on the temperature ranges it'll have to deal with, or you can use any modern UTF (Universal Tractor/Hydraulic Fluid) that meets the M2C134D specification. If it's the 4 speed transmission, then it takes 5 quarts. The rear end takes 8.5 quarts."

I decided to go with this, as I also have a small Kabota that uses the same UTF. Another post I read mentioned sometimes the transmission and differential seal leaks causing the two fluids to mix.

I figured if I used the same fluid in both, that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for the input!

/ unsynchronized transmission #6  
As you have seen, it can be done, but Ford Tractor recommended you not do it. That's because, in gaining the experience mentioned above, you may lock the transmission in two gears or break something expensive. This is straight from the owner's manual:
1710170431847.png

You can download a free owner's manual from here:
https://www.ntractorclub.com/manuals/tractors/Ford Tractor Series 600 & 800 Owner's Manual.pdf

Last edited:

I understand! I had an older Suzuki with a 4 speed hydraulic clutch. I only used it to start out with too.

I would also listen to the sound of the engine and even down shift without the clutch.

Again, not hot-rodding it just driving it.

Thank you EdGooding!

/ unsynchronized transmission #9  
My 2000 had all kinds of shifter problems, REV.!! Shop even had trouble with it. I even took out Rev. again! sure did. 1st. to 4th. and scrubbed Reverse. Found out the hard way what I did. Had to cut a tree to get it out.:rolleyes: I done it and know how it happened. 2 brake pedals and the L. pedal I pressed was the bad week one. If I shift gears now I'm stopped!

Ouch!

I'm looking at a brake job for it sometime this year. I bought the shoes, just have to muster up the desire to tackle the job.